Sign in to follow this  
annie

Special needs policy criticised

Hello Annie,

This is such a huge problem. It is so true that after school days have finished that appears to be it as far as responsibilty by the state is concerned. Once our children have left school what then?? Sadly the problems are not going to go away, the underlying autism will remain no matter how brilliant the school may be.

My son left school over a year ago and it took 9 months for 2 short social service sessions to be put in place. We have also been told to apply (by social services) to the Independent Living Fund who will give us funding to employ a carer for him. However that is really glorified babysitting, we will have to find a suitable carer, pay them, arrange insurance, contract of employment etc etc.

I have given up work to provide constant care and supervision and we dont leave the house in case of meltdowns, temper tantrums etc. He is a big lad and I fear the consequences if he accidently hurts someone. I recently read of a young man who injured a care worker and was arrested by the police for assault. He functions as a small child, has no speech and yet was taken to a police station and finger printed etc.

I would urge all parents to ask questions of your local social services now, no matter how young your child may be. I know education is important but please remember your child has a long future ahead of them and at the moment there is no safety net to catch them when they leave school. I kept my head well and truely stuck in the sand and I dearly wish I hadnt.

Loraine

Hi Loraine,

I have the same worries.

My son will be 16 next month and I keep thinking about his future. There are so many children being let down by the education system at the moment, in a few years they will be let down even worse the way things are going.

Annie

XX