Aeolienne

Are many autistic people prevented from learning another language?

This description of one of the events at the recent British Science Festival got me thinking (emphasis added):

Autistic people & the languages nobody knows they speak

Did you know that half the world’s population is bilingual? However, reports have shown that many autistic people are prevented from learning another language because of misconceptions that it will be “too much” for them. This is denying them access to multiple skills and opportunities, and the chance to enjoy the thinking skills and social benefits of bilingualism.

In this year’s Social Sciences Award Lecture, Bérengère Digard from the University of Edinburgh explains why these misconceptions are incorrect. Bérengère will share how being bilingual has helped many of the autistic people she works with, shaping their thinking skills and challenging the current theories of autism.

Original link

Is this really true?

Edited by Aeolienne
Remove surperfluous "are" in title

I wasn't good at learning a second language at school.  I had to resit my o grade French but passed all my other o grades first time.

I couldn't access an online video or transcript of Bérengère Digard's presentation.  But here is a link to some of the researchers publications:

https://www.research.ed.ac.uk/en/persons/berengere-digard

Edited by Aut_Scot