Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

Ocupational Therapist

From reading other people's posts they seem to be extremely helpful in areas we need help with, how would I go about a referal to them for my son ?

We were referred by the paediatrician for assessment of my nearly 4 yr old for possible dyspraxia. 6 month wait for a first appointment though :angry:

Good thing I've got a whole list of OT activities for kids with fine motor difficulties to be doing in the meantime. I could post it if you think it would help

Liz x

Hi - my son was reffered by paediatrician but I think GP's can do so if they feel it appropriate. Word of warning though, I don't know where you live lil me but we had to wait two and a half years (yes really!) before we got appointment. Also have to say OT has been quite helpful but to be honest I had already discovered and implemented most of the sort of stuff they offer myself during the long wait. I've found they are useful as a point of referance but miracle workers no :lol:

Good luck - Witsend.

We've been waiting 18 months (probably abit longer I lose track) and have been told we will get an assessment and a list of recommendations but no follow up appointments due to pressures on the service. My son is 14 and still can't tie his shoe laces properly - has to use a modified form that quickly comes undone - and on many days can't put his own socks on. He is listed as a priority, second only to life threatening cases.

Edited by Tez

:wallbash: Sounds like our problem with SALT, he was referred at 18 months, he hasn't seen one yet. I'll ask the consultant next time we are there as thankfully I rarely have to see his GP so he knows very little about my son. Thanks peeps B)

I just found out he has been seen by 2 OT in school, who were doing a specific programme to help with fine motor skills called in the bag, I had thought they were just teachers until I read some paperwork I found from Ed Psychologist, unfortunately he showed 'no noticable improvement' during this programme but they did an assessment with him so they might, fingers crossed still have this on record.

In the mean time where can I get these lists of fine motor skill activities, is there a book or website they are available on ? Any help appreciated, thanks