Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

CH4 Dispatches

Lucas -

Cutting to the chase on this one, there are many people on the autistic spectrum who quite simply would not be able to keep themselves alive without ongoing daily support for a variety of reasons. This would include (but this is in no way an exclusive list) compromised awareness of common dangers & inability to find themselves food and shelter (the first two tiers of human need on Maslow's model). One could argue that it's a social problem, because society SHOULD meet those needs, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the 'effects' are directly linked to the autistic condition for those people...

Your reality, like it or not, is vastly removed from that, and as such - and I'm sorry - I don't think you are a suitable candidate for advocate to people in that position, because it seems to me that you won't seem to recognise the inherent difference.

This has nothing to do with medical models of disability, or with social intolerance/understanding/responses: it is purely how it is...

Again, we could spin off into a debate about physical disabilty or (i.e.) insulin dependence or any other sort of medical imperative demanding ongoing support, but effectively we'd just be going round in circles to avoid the fact that SOME elements of disabilty will remain for SOME people whatever changes are made to the social model...

I agree, as i have many times before, that social responses to disability are a HUGE factor in creating/maintaining/contributing to that disability; but it's not the begining and end of it, no matter how much you want it to be or how aggressively you argue for it.

This post is probably not a particularly cohesive one (very late and quite a bit of red wine!), and perhaps in the morning I'll regret it... It may actually not fit very well with my new 'moderator' role, 'cos it's perhaps not very 'moderate', but in all honesty, Lucas, and while i have great admiration for many of your posts, on this subject it does very often feel like this :wallbash: And you do seem to have a knack for introducing these types of issue into threads on a fairly regular basis. ;)

For you, autism may not be 'disabling' - it may be that with social change any of the problems you might face could be overcome. That simply is not true for many autistic people.

One final thought: I'm not in any way trying to suggest that profoundly autistic people who do need support are (or should be) in any way 'indebted' to society for the support they receive... In all honesty, we could and should all do a much better job of it. All I am trying to say is that their support needs are real, that they arise directly from their condition rather than from social responses, and that it's as unfair to not recognise that as it is to not challenge the marginalisation that does arise from unfavourable social responses...

L&P

BD :D

Baddad, a full reply to that will have to wait until tomorrow but suffice to say for now that you can keep saying all you like that Autism is the direct cause of the various difficulties but it will not make it any more true as there has never been any evidence for it that has squared up to scrutiny.

I will not sit here and have someone say that my position is irrelevent when they have no idea about my ability ranges. I too feel like I'm banging my head against a wall when trying to explain things to people who can show me absolutely no evidence except Post Hoc BS about the impairments in Autism.

At the University of Montreal, the goal was to find deficeits caused by Autism. Research was done using the sum of all the data suggesting deficeits and the data was comprehensive enough to make all results predictable. All ability ranges were used and a more strict definition of Asperger's Syndrome was applied to the subjects so that differences could be compared. All they ended up finding was strengths, atypical in such a way that a careless observer could construe errors out of them.

I know a lot more about Autism than your drink does so I don't want to have to explain this again.

Why people have repeatedly cited their own projected view of myself as some kind of 'evidence' that discredits what I say, I don't know and it worries me. I've certainly not compared myself or cited a personal example of mine to demonstrate a point, so why do some think it effectly answers anything I've posted by doing so?

I would like to know their reasons for doing this.

:( Very late coming back to this........been away :ph34r: .I found the programme :sick::crying: ............,the suggestion some parents did,nt spend enough time reciting nursery rhymes :lol::lol: ???????..........What was interesting though was the study taken on hearing and hearing sounds, we consulted an audiologist who found an in-balance and misinterpretation of sounds , which backs up my sons dyslexia DX.This programme was no help the professor was a pl*nker!!