Sign in to follow this  
nysnanna

Help and advice

Can anyone advise me of a cheap and easy to use desktop publishing type of thing for the computer. After a year at school my 6 year old ASD grandson still has absolutely no idea or interest in learning to read. The school support teacher keeps writing in his reading diary things like 'Nyran read well' etc and moving him on to the next stage. He is either fooling them well or they are more interested in their statistics of children reaching goals.

He is unable to pay attention for more than 30 seconds. I have now decided that as I know what interests him and what things may keep his attention, I am going to attempt to write some easy reading books for him myself and personalise them with family photos, and stories about dinosaurs, which he loves. As I intend to do quite a few I think it would be easier with some kind of DT publisher but as I have never used one before I am not sure what kind of thing would be best. Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome as would any advice on teaching reading to an active boy with ASD and ADHD and I think maybe dyslexia. DT publisher would need to be quite easy to use. Thanks a lot. Teresa

Can't offer any advice but what an excellent idea B) We had HUGE problems with our youngest and reading. He had no interest at all, mainly down to the way school handled things. However he has suddenly expressed a desire to read himself and is hsocking us with teh rapid progress he is making.

Hope your idea works :thumbs:

Carole

Hi nynsnanna -

If you've got a PC it probably came bundled with something that'll give you text and picture editing... Microsoft Works or Word for example (or poss Lotus Smartsuite or something!). 'Works' includes DTP package called "Home Publisher" which is more comprehensive than word, but has a bigger learning curve.

If you've absolutely nothing, try looking for giveaways on the fromn't of magazines (Serif are always giving slightly older versions away on the chance you'll upgrade) or you could download 'Home Office', which is a full suite of applications written for Linux and available for nix and is apparently excellent.

That said, I'd offer even money that if you have a good shufty round your PC you'll already have something to get you started, even if it's only 'Wordpad' in utilities!

L&P

BD