Sign in to follow this  
smallworld

Does your child sleep with a light on ?

We have always left the landing light on all night.

I know we should have got our kids used to sleeping in the dark, but to be honest with the constant to-ing and fro-ing during the night in our house, i got fed up with tripping over things and standing on lego etc..

We've just had a power cut as we were about to go bed. Blind, ha,ha ! panic ensues trying to find a torch/candles. Of course, our youngest has woken up and is wide awake wanting to see more candles lit.

Obviously power has been restored (other half puts the power cut down to all the donny rovers fans putting the kettle on, bless him !)

To get to the point, we need a light we can use in an emergency, any ideas ?

Obviously it has to be something child proof (is there such a thing ? !!)

Off to bed, again, to try and convince 5 yr old that it is bedtime !

wac

when my daughter was younger we had a battery operated light.

i think it was from argos.

it was round and could be fixed to the wall.

you press it to make the light come on and it turns itself off after so long

not sure if they still do it but someone might!

yes he does, he's 12. but he hates being in the dark :)

That's the thing !

Thanks all :D

Trying to find my way downstairs made me realise we need a light on the smoke alarm too.

And also to shift all the clutter off the stairs !

Now, to find out who nicked my torch that I keep at the side of the bed ....

wac

:oops: sorry, I should have put this topic in the help and advice slot. Am off to search for that light.

Edited by waccoe

We have always left the landing light on all night.

I did that, Waccoe, and the house got hit by a Jumbo Jet...

Seriously, Ben always used to sleep fine without a light, but now he's got older things that go 'bump' in the night worry him more :unsure:

I bought a little 6w mini flourescent at Do It All which has a switch on the side. Now if he wakes up he can leave it on for the rest of the night without any undue worries re leccy bills. Much brighter than those 15w nighlights, which means no scary shadows in the corner, but not so bright it keeps ME awake (though, generally, if Ben is then I am 'cos the numpty has yet to realise that I don't particularly want to discuss his backswing at 3.00 in the morning :angry: ) I'm fairly sure you can get rechargable/emergency light versions, and most of the DIY outlets still do those round ones mentioned by Jools, though I think they're only small wattage/big shadows...

L&P

BD

PS: If you're looking in the DIY places look for emergency lighting. You could also try elec wholesalers and/or fire safety installers.

I sypathise with the whole issue though -

My son wont sleep unless the bathroom and hallway light it on - and when we had a power cut he woke up screaming -

Hes got better now that we explained about how sometimes electric does stop - but ti took some calming down -

An emergencvy light is a great idea.

Most DIY stores have these type of lights in, woolworths, wilkinsons etc aswell I think Where we live we get quite a lot of powercuts and meltdown happens everytime until all ngithlights etc are lit. Have thought about getting a genny, might be easier :wallbash:

Edited by lil_me

Most DIY stores have these type of lights in, woolworths, wilkinsons etc aswell I think Where we live we get quite a lot of powercuts and meltdown happens everytime until all ngithlights etc are lit. Have thought about getting a genny, might be easier :wallbash:

thanks, thats realy great , I plan to get a couple next time i am in the UK

K

Just wanted to add ASDA sell 'egg' lights they are (obviously) egg shaped and are battery operated, they change colour and give off a soft glow. You get 3 for around 10 quid, don't think they'd be too good as emergency lighting but kids love them as a night light B)

There's some great ideas here, off shopping tomorrow (any excuse !)

I was also stuck as to how to explain a power cut. Like a fool I just said the light bulbs were broken, so of course 5 yr old told me to go and buy some new ones !!

My son now understands it better as he was interested in Electricity for a while, but before that we explained it as all the wires connect to the houses and the man had to switch them off while he fixed one so he didn't get hurt, eventually my son came out with ' He should be more polite and ring to let us know' copied from what I say about inconsiderate people of course.