Sign in to follow this  
sara

can anyone help me with some advice on DDAT

I was wondering if anyone has any evidence on how effective the DDAT programme

is with aspergers. I've read some of your previous chats from November 2004 and was curious to find out whether or not this actually works for AS. I am quite intrested in persuing this programme for my son, however I seem to be struggling to find much information on DDAT and AS

I have heard that it has helped some, and not others. Some said it was a waste of money. A talk I was at on inpp suggested that it may not work for some cos ddat works on higher level skills than inpp does, and you have to have the lower level skills right first.

Not much help I am afraid - I woudl like to have tried it with T, cos of his poor handwriting.

Karen

compare with INPP, books such as developmental dyspraxia (M Portwood), brain gym. Be aware that all sensory systems have to be working optimally to get most benefit from cerebellar exercises, they can mask problems, not cure them.

Helen

have already spoken to the DDAT programme people, they don't seem to be able to give much info on asergers even though they say it can help. They say that I can get more info re aspergers when I see the doctor at the first assesment which will cost �475. I'm starting to wonder if they do have any real evidence. The only thing they did come up with is that children with aspergers can't start the programme until 9 not 7 which is for dyslexia / dyspraxia / ADHD.

Never mind I think i'll put this one to rest and spend my money on something more useful like a holiday.

sara

have already spoken to the DDAT programme people, they don't seem to be able to give much info on asergers even though they say it can help.

This information doesn't exactly fill a parent with confidence does it?

They say that I can get more info re aspergers when I see the doctor at the first assesment which will cost �475.
What a surprise - NOT.

The only thing they did come up with is that children with aspergers can't start the programme until 9 not 7 which is for dyslexia / dyspraxia / ADHD.

Never mind I think i'll put this one to rest and spend my money on something more useful like a holiday.

For what it's worth, from our personal experience, I think you've made the right decision.

Read the threads on this forum - they'll probably be of more help to you and the advice is FREE.

Edited by Helen

Sara,

I found an article on the net about two years after I took my son off the DDAT programme, it shed a different light on DDAT - I don't know if I still have this information, if I have then I'll post it here for you to read.

Helen

Thanx for your help on this, I'll I won't persue this any further. You Know how it goes always looking to find something to help put some normallity into our lives.

sara

Sara,My son has just finished at DDAT and we were amazed with the results.Just looking at his results over the past year is astounding . He has achiedved so much since attending . It may not work for everyone but it certainly did for us.

Moncs

Hi Sara,

Since DDAT was exposed on TV this year it is marketing under the name of Learning Breakthrough Program LLC.

In the F.A.Q's page it states:

QUESTION: What are the relationships,similarities and differences between DDAT (Dore Achievement Center) and the Learning Breakthrough Program?

ANSWER: DDAT (Dore Achievement Centers) developed balance and sensory exercise methods and techniques based on the Learning Breakthrough Program presented on this website. A DDAT/Dore client visits a center, receives medical and educational testing, and takes home equipment and an exercise plan. They return in approximately 6 weeks for follow up testing and the next set of exercises to take home. This pattern continues for up to 12 months. The program?s benefits come from the daily exercises performed at home. The cost is approximately $3000US (�1500). The Learning Breakthrough Program is easy to use by the average parent or teacher. It is securely ordered on this website and delivered to your home or school via FEDEX. The program comes complete with detailed instructions, benchmarking tests and all equipment. The total cost is $379 in the US, �350 in the UK, and �499 in Europe.

QUESTION: Is the Learning Breakthrough Program a cure for Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, other Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD/ADHD)?

ANSWER: To call this a �cure� would be highly inappropriate. The Learning Breakthrough Program is a non-medical balance and sensory integration exercise program aimed at helping to better organize brain processing. People with learning and attention difficulties stand to benefit the most from proper use of the program. The average or gifted person who desires better performance may benefit as well. We like to think of the Learning Breakthrough Program as basic brain fitness.

The child has to balance on a wooden balancing board whilst completing several tasks which are described in the accompanying DVD.The exercises need to be repeated for 15 mins twice a day.

You need to make at least 6 to 9 months commitment of daily use.

As the parent of an Aspie boy 16 in November and L.S.A. of two year 7 girls with Asperger's and Dyspraxia- 20 hours total resources. I would say that stimulating the brain with these exercises can't do any physical harm as long as the child doesn't think they are going to be cured. One the girls I support in mainstream school is starting the program in December and already thinks that she will no longer need my help. As she has difficulties with stairs,walking, hopping skipping etc I am wondering how she will be able to balance sucessfully on the wooden balancing board provided.

Hope this is helpful Julieann.