Sign in to follow this  
clair

psychiatric assessment

We have been sent an appointment at last for our son to see a psychiatrist. They have all the information in his files from the psycologist he was seeing but what will this professional do. They have tried to say before they did not think an ASD diagnosis was correct and that it may be Adhd, however when the secretary rang us and told us she was setting up an urgent appointment with the psychiatrist as she had quickly shown her his file, she mentioned that aspergers and adhd had been mentioned just from a quick look at the file and that he was very interested in meeting him. We were just trying to figure out if we had to go from step one again or will they use the notes from the psycology department. Yoe see, when anyone meets our son he is the most sweet angelic child you could imagine, but the school and ourselves know different. :dance: Thanks Clair. By the way thankyou for the messages of support the other week when E=MC2 was taking over, I just couldnt cope anymore at the time and ended up in hospital for a night, but now thanks to strong antidepressents I can just about focus now.

Hi, the notes on file will be referred to, also your thoughts and those of the school.During my sons referral to a psych we filled in several questionaires as did the school. They will probably see you a number of times, talk to you and your son , watch him play and interact, do social stories with him etc. Your feeings and thoughts are very important and we found we were listened too and taken seriously. Good luck I,m sure everything will be fine B) .

Guest flutter

clair ((hugs))

we saw someone and all we did was go through thorughly a llist of Q's.

It was tiring having to remember things for such a long time ago.

They had info from nurse who spent time with dd, speech and language assement, phsycologist report Questionaires from us and school.

good luck and please take it easy XX

C ( another one with a fab name :lol: )

My son was diagnosed by (2) psychiatrists, and regularly sees one as his consultant. I've always got the feeling that these are the real professionals in mental health, and they are better informed than anyone else I've met - really a case of the 'horse's mouth'. On the other hand, they perhaps have less time than the other professionals.

You could call the psychiatrist's office, and simply ask them what to expect at the appointment. This might be the most straightforward way of getting an answer to your, very reasonable, question.

The psychiatrist may do a range of observations, perhaps with a team - or he may just take a history, listen to you, observe the child, and ask lots of questions. How much time do you have for the appointment - that might give you a clue.

I hope it goes well - I think it's encouraging that you know the psychiatrist is interested in the case.