Sign in to follow this  
meemo38

Can i just ask

Will it be worth me bothering with the carers allowance, as my hubby only works part time, so its topped up with tax credits, and we get a little housing and council tax benefit, so i guess its swings and roundabouts were thats concerned, i dont want to complicate matters were the applications are concerned you know, dont want different little amounts coming in from different places, also what is the extra amount on the tax credits that we will get???

Michelle

Hi meemo,

you get extra tax credit for DLA and carers allowance does not affect tax credit, but I cant tell you about your husbands work. Will he be the carer? I think it depends on how long he works a week.

Hope that helps a bit.

Viper.

I will be the carer i dont work, i was wondering about whether the offset on housing benefits will change a lot, i know you get extra premium of dla on hous ben, but i dont want to have to claim for it if its only a pound or 2, the forms just arnt worth all the effort, so if its going to drop because of the carers, then i wouldnt bother claiming that, and keep things simple as they are now!!!!

If things can ever be simple LOL

Michelle

Hi,

You have to inform the tax credits about carers allowance as they class it as 'income'.

You are allowed to earn no more than �82p/w to claim carers allowance.

My husband works full time but, I am the carer so I claim the carers allowance.

You would also have to inform the housing of this too, I think you get a carer premium from them but, dont quote me on this as it's a while ago we had housing.

Tax credits increase with DLA but, not with carers.

HTH

I know what you mean about it being worth it with all the forms etc.. :wacko:

Brook

Edited by Brook