Sign in to follow this  
Millymay

Don't think we'll get dla

Ds is 7 and has been dx with "moderate autism with unknown intelligence", is due to be assessed for adhd, waiting for physio and occupational therapy for probable dyspraxia. We applied a few weeks ago and are seriously unhopeful of getting it. Just got letter from them saying they've requested a report from school. Even though the school have been fully on board with his problems (he's school action plus at the mo), he isn't a "problem" as such, ie not disruptive, likes school, settled into year 2 well and i've got the feeling they'll play down his worst side which is MUCH more evident at home and when out (shops etc). Has anyone been turned down purely due to the schools opinion?

We didn't get turned down purely because of the school's opinion, but I know it has happened.

I aslo know of cases where that refusal has been overturned after parents presented further expert evidence.

Good luck!

Simon

The shoudn't turn you down just because of the schools opinion, as most know children on the spectrum can be much more passive at school.

If they do turn you down gather all the evidence you can from other profesionals and appeal.

The shoudn't turn you down just because of the schools opinion, as most know children on the spectrum can be much more passive at school.

Most prople who know about Autistic Spectrum dsorders know this, remember that the DLA form will be dealt with by a clerk who will know nothing about Autistic Spectrum disorders.

It's worth mentioning that some teachers don't mind being approached and told what to write!

Simon

This happened to us where the DLA contacted school, but my daughters school are very unco-operative and think I'm neurotic. They downplayed all her difficulties and we were refused.

However if this happens to you, what you need to do is ask for a reconsideration and for a copy of all the evidence that they used to make their decision. You will then be sent a copy of the school's input. I wrote to the DLA saying how disgusted I was that the school had answered the questions in this way, said I would be complaining to the school governors and detailed what was wrong and why. eg. the school said her speech and language was "normal". I then said that if this was normal then why did she have regular speech and language therapy etc. I enclosed a list of professionals names, addresses and telephone numbers who could all be contacted to verify her difficulties. We were then awarded high rate care and low mobility which were backdated to when we first claimed.

If your son has has AS, ADHD and dyspraxia then he's entitled to DLA so if they do turn you down, don't accept it.

Good luck.

Lisa