Sign in to follow this  
Tez

School and SEN Records

I know that as a parent I have the right to see my child's school and SEN records.

Would the school's application for Statutory Assessment form part of these? I am asking because i asked the LEA for a copy and they said they would prefer me to asjk the school so on the 25th August I made a written request to my son's Headmaster for a copy of the school's application for Statutory Assessment. So far I have received no response but I know that the written request was recived. It is important to me that I get a copy of this before the LEA conclude their assessment.

Am I entitled to see this at this stage or do I have to wait until the LEA have decided whether or not to issue a statement.

I know that as a parent I have the right to see my child's school and SEN records.

Would the school's application for Statutory Assessment form part of these?

Hello Tez,

I would imagine so...a copy of the application for assessment should be included in your son's SEN file as a matter of formality.

I am asking because i asked the LEA for a copy and they said they would prefer me to asjk the school so on the 25th August I made a written request to my son's Headmaster for a copy of the school's application for Statutory Assessment.
Does the headmaster reaslise that he has 15 school days in which to respond to your written request?

It is important to me that I get a copy of this before the LEA conclude their assessment.Am I entitled to see this at this stage or do I have to wait until the LEA have decided whether or not to issue a statement.

A copy of the school's 'educational advice' should also be included in your son's SEN file - you have the right to access your son's SEN file; I haven't come across any information which states that a parent cannot access their child's SEN file during a statutory assessment.

Tez, this may be of some use to you, as the following information is taken from a copy of the 'distribution letter' which I obtained from my son's medical file. This letter is from the LEA and it is dated 6 days after I made a request for a statutory assessment.

Dear Colleague,

Name of child: XXXXX

D.O.B: XXXXX

School: XXXXX

Address: XXXXX

Please submit any relevant information you may hold concerning this child. The infomation you submit will be made available to the parent if requested.

Please submit this information within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Your sincerely,

Mr. X

Director of Education and Community Services.

Possible Distribution List.

Educational Welfare Officer

Educational Psychologist

Community Paediatrician

Speech Therapist

Physiotherapist

Occupational Therapist

Health Visitor

Teacher for the Hearing Impaired

Teacher of the Visually Impaired

Social Services Department

Pre-School Liaison Teacher/Family Support Team

I.T. Adviser

Clinical Psychologist

The distribution list doesn't mention the school, but usually if another department is already involved with the child then duplicate copies of all advice submitted are distributed to the relevant departments. Try contacting the EPs department to see if it holds a copy of the school's educational advice.

Good luck.

Edited by Helen

i asked the LEA for a copy and they said they would prefer me to asjk the school

You are entitled to see your son's LEA SEN file, the application for a statutory assessment will be in this file along with the school's 'educational advice', I can't remember if you have to write to the SEN department or to the data protection officer within the authority:

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-rights/c...rds/index.shtml

Edited by Helen

Thanks Helen,

I have just spoken to the Head's Secretary and asked her to provide me with copies of all the requested information when I take my son into school for his medical tomorrow. I have confirmed the details of the conversation by fax and pointed out the statutory requirement on them to provide the information (copying my previous written request).

If I don't get a satisfactory response I'll ask the EP when he comes on Tuesday.