Sign in to follow this  
Tez

EP visit for statementing purposes

EP visited twice today to assess A for his statement. First this morning he spent 3 hours speaking to me and ascertaining my views.

Then this afternoon he returned for supposedly 20 minutes to speak to A and left 2 and a half hours later.

Both my husband and I felt that he was on our side. He said that normally the LEA wouldn't see AS as too much of an educational problem, they would look to put the child in a quieter, calmer and more knowlegable environment but that would normally be full time mainstream. However, having spoken to me and having observed A he was of the opinion that we are dealing with far more than AS and agrees that his Sensory Integration Dysfunction is so debilitating that he struggles to see that this would be appropriate.

He mentioned the other sources of education that the LEA have on offer and seemed to agree with my view that none of these would be suitable either, mainly due to sensory problems and distance from home.

He asked if I had any knowledge of other high functioning autistic children with sensory problems of the same magnitude's as A who were successfully functioning in mainstream and if not how were they educated. I stated that to my knowledge they were all either educated at home or in residential schools.

He appeared to agree that my desire for a few hours per week in a mainstream school backed by a number of hours home tuition managed and financed by the LEA was a sensible way forward but said that he could only advise the LEA it would have to be down to us to negotiate.

As he was leaving he asked me if I was aware that we would be eligible for respite care and if I was aware of all the facilities and benefits available to me. He also pointed me in the direction of a club set up for AS teenagers from all over our borough which had a coffee room attached for parents to sit and chat whilst they waited.

I hesitate to say that he was on our side because I would hate to be disappointed but I did feel that he understood something of the magnitude of A's problems and that they are of long duration and not just a temporary blip.

He has told me that when he has written his report he will either come and see me to discuss it or phone me and discuss it prior to sending it to the LEA - is this normal? I'm feeling positive that he's trying to help, I do hope that we aren't let down.

Hello Tez,

The EP sounds as if he's taking your concerns on board, a pat on the back to him :clap:

He has told me that when he has written his report he will either come and see me to discuss it or phone me and discuss it prior to sending it to the LEA - is this normal?

I think it's wonderful that the EP is being so flexible and accommodating with you and A, my LEA EP telephoned me prior to submitting his advice, he wanted to know if I was satisfied with his report.