Sign in to follow this  
lynyona

driving me mad

Hi im sure there have been recent post about the personal hygiene but kieran who is 19 is driving me mad.He will not get washed or change his clothes and if i put it cruelly im sorry he smells.Ive tried telling him as have the rest of the family but he just says "so i cant smell me"aghhh, the only time he gets washed is if he is going out and that is usually only once a fortnight so you can imagine.He will not change his joggers because of the sensory feel issue but if he wont change them for me to wash them how can i get them clean and also he as the same clothes on 24/7 as he does not get undress yet he will go and change his underwear once a year (joke to make light of the subject) but he believes that you only get washed and changed if you are going out .Idea s greatly recieved thanks. l also have to wash him and shave him due to poor co ordination. When he was little i could corner him but he is now 6ft 2 a bit more difficult. lynn

Hi lynona,

My daughter luckily enjoys bathing but I do have a problem triying to part her from her favourite pair of trousers when I need to wash them - so I sympathise! (Would you believe, they can't be tumble dried so I can't even do them quickly when she's asleep. :wacko: )

Have you tried straightforward bribery, eg a monetary reward every time he washes, a favourite meal etc. Can you duplicate his favourite joggers so he always has a clean pair? You probably have tried everything you can think of.

K

hi lynona,MY 9 year old son(still waiting for dx) doesn't like getting changed and i have to constantly get at him about getting a bath and wash.It must be a lad thing lol. I go in his bedroom when he's asleep and get his cloths to put in wash.He has low muscle tone so he can't do buttons and laces,has trouble with zips.

Same problem here, washing and changing clothes are a big problem. I usually manage to change and wash the sheets on his bed while he is at school (except when a seemingly sunny day turns to rain...) but as you say, that's a bit difficult while they're physically attached to their clothing... And yes, I too mention that he smells and he basically has the same reaction. He does change into pyamas, but then those end up being ever so smelly... sometimes I manage to sneak in and change his clothes but he always knows and doesn't like it...