Sign in to follow this  
witsend

Adoption and ASD's

Hi all - don't worry am not about to put Ds up for adoption or anything (although there are times.... :lol: ) Was just wondring if anyone had any ideas about this. I have two sons eldest AS birth child and youngest NT adopted. I don't know if any of you have adopted but basically when you do you have to look through many childrens 'profiles' in the search for a child. I looked at lots of kids profiles (many ifnot all would break your heart :( ) and when I think back it is fairly remarkable how many of these children has ASD's. Now at the time of adopting I was unaware that my eldest son had AS (this was about 3 years ago) and I really was clueless about what ASD was. When I asked my social worker she seemed to know little more except to kind of warn me off these kids as they were 'autistic', and therfore very hard work and difficult to 'bond' with. :wacko:

With hindsight this makes me feel quite angry with SW, yes I now know "these kids" are 'hard work' but they are so much more than that and I feel quite guilty that i just accepted her words and didn't bother to find out more. It is of course ironic that my eldest son has since been dx with AS :rolleyes: I suppose it makes me angry that a lot of these children in the care systen will be overloooked becasue of what ill informed SW's say to prospective adoptive parents!

The other thing that I wonder about is why so many ASD children are in care?? then again maybe they're not, maybe (like many other children with 'disabilities') they are just more difficult to place than some other kids??

I don't know but would be interested to hear your views and/or experiences,

luv Witsend.

I have no experience with adopting although I am considering going down the fostering route. (very early days though).

If I were to adopt, then I'd gladly adopt an ASD child or any other child with a disability. Like you said, they have soo much more to offer!

I know someone who adopted and was told the children (5 and 7,brothers) had no special needs or behaviour problems but that their behaviour was a bit unsettled due to the difficult experiences they had had.

both boys had serious behaviour difficulties (things like using the living room as a loo) and both are now diagnosed with ADHD and are medicated.

how the hell they could have failed to spot the ADHD in these 2 before they were adopted I can't imagine (I have taught both boys and there is no way they can't at least have suspected).

fortunately for these boys they found a family that could take it on board but it could have gone so disastrously wrong for them all.

I understand feeling angry at the SW trying to put you off rather than maybe explaining what autism really is so you can make your own decisions, but not telling the prospective parents like this has got to be the pits.

Zemanski

I know someone who's 3rd child was born with a disability. She was already a teacher, and after having that child she did an MA in special needs education, and taught in a special school. Then she decided to adopt a 4th child with a disability. This child has complex physical disabilities, and "autistic features." I think it's wonderful that she did all this, but I know that most people couldn't cope with that.

It's sad that social workers are not explaining autism better. You'd think they would be keen to place these children.