Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

new school opening in April 2006

My friend rang me in a great state of excitement this morning. She had been told that a new adult day care service was opening in a near by village. I hadnt heard anything about this and set about looking on the computer.

It isnt a day care centre but a new school for autistic children. It will have 50 beds, a day school facilty, set in a beautiful house with acres of grounds.

Talk about missing the boat! Our lads have had to exist in schools who had no idea how to teach or help them and now the answer to our prayers is to open a year after they leave the system.

Not that Im bitter and twisted......

Happy Halloween

Love Loraine xxxx

Basingstoke (Hampshire) and the village is Tadley. Just to rub salt into the wound my husband was born and brought up there, I lived there age 5 until marriage and all our family members live there.

Loraine

Oh won't Hants LEA be pleased!

(I am presuming it is an independent school - if it is a LEA one, you'll have to pick me up off the floor!)

Can you PM me some more details please lorryw - another school to add to my file of schools!

Karen

If it's an independent school, it won't matter how close you live if you can't get funding. We have a large AS school and college in our county and I have been told very few from our county get funding to go there. Our son has AS and is now home educted due to sensory problems, but we have been told we would have a huge fight on our hands to get him in the school as the fees are so high. Fortunatly we are happy with the home arrangement.

Denise 2

>>If it's an independent school, it won't matter how close you live if you can't get funding.

True - but if it is close by, the parents are more likely to know about it and fight for it.

>>We have a large AS school and college in our county and I have been told very few from our county get funding to go there

The LEA's always say that. My LEA said they don't send children to T's school - I found out there were already 4 children from our LEA there - there are 6 now! They only say that to put people off. It isn't easy, but it is possible.

PS: just saw an advert for this school in the NAS magazine -

the Tadley one will cover 4-19 with autism.

there will be two in Condover in Shropshire too:

one for 4-19, res and day, severe to mild autism

one a res FE college for AS, 16-23.

That is good news.

Karen