Sign in to follow this  
clintess

it just gets better

well found out why my orignal dla was turned down for T, turns out his ex senco in previous sch put down there was nothing wrong with him, she had 2 oppurnities to write about his speech/language and behavior problems but instead wrote she wasnt aware he was adhd and nothing else. she put he was the like the average child for for danger awareness and behavour and sighed it , his new school has already identified his social communcation disorder as well as his learning disabilitiy and that he learns better visually. dla revised they decision by the way when i sent in report from his community nurse as well the reports they already have from his pead and salt, now in appeal process for a higher rate as he only gets low which doesnt even cover his taxis to school. im also doing a letter of complaint about this woman to the lea, chairof govs and local mp along with sending reports from the paed,cn and salt that this child does have problems.im hopeing she will get the sack feel like slapping this woman to be honest so glad i didnt leave tom in that school for long but long enoughfor him,he is much happier in this new sch and they are far more experianced with him.

UPDATE; well chair of govs of sch got bk with letter they not going 2 take it further so now just completed more paperwork for the lea 2 chew over and local mp not to mention chair of sch.im not letting this go now have to wait and appeal being heard next month.

Clintess

A similar thing happened to us with dla. The senco wrote on the form, "we do not consider this child to have a disability"!!!! Everything she wrote was completely contrary to all the medical evidence and support she gets. She said her SALT was normal, L has regular SALT therapy IN SCHOOL!!! Perhaps they give SALT to all "normal" children. :angry::angry: Luckily for us the dla reconsidered their decision and awarded high rate care and low mobility. We complained to the head but didn't take it further in the end as L still had to attend the school. The HT assured us that the senco wouldn't be filling in any more dla forms and that she'd be doing them personally in future.

Good luck with the appeal.

Lisa

loads of parents have come to me complaining about this particular senco, i have written to the lea as well as local mp as i think are children are being put through all this at their expense because of inexperianced or objective sencos that think nothing is wrong although he also had a iep that she compiled for him. The new sch are great and work alot with him to teach him at his level and rate of learning including teaching him visually where possible. The senco that is also the head and was a head of a previous special needs sch so am now very lucky.She has picked up on his social communcation disorder within 10 wks of being there and you can see she is very experianced with children like him. I feel not enough is done for these children and these sencos that lack knowledge for whatever reason should be removed hence why persisting with it even though my boys are now longer at this school because there are children still there that are sn. Hope im not rabbling to much i will keep you all informed off this in whatever result it may bring.

I feel not enough is done for these children and these sencos that lack knowledge for whatever reason should be removed

Not sure I agree (ducks quick as pens, pc mice, cups of coffee etc are thrown at me). I can see where your comming from and why. I know there are some ###### poor SENCos out there. Some simply cannot be @rsed to do anything and those should go, I agree. However, some of the others simply need educating in what they are doing wrong. Don't forget it's only been in the last few years that Aspergers has been recognised or that 'autistic' children are appearing in mainstream with any frequency. Some SENCos are therefore comming across our children for the first time, hard to believe I know but it is still the case.

So perhaps a cautious yes, some need to move on, but plenty of others need to learn where they are going wrong. If they won't listen the nice way (which clearly you have tried and got nowhere with) then it has to be the hard way. That choice is theirs.

I'm with you Phas on this one (also ducking as everything PC is thrown my way), yes there are DEFINITELY some really ###### awful SENCO's out there, my last one oh witch lady was definitely one of them, but there are those that are absolutely brilliant and worth their weight in gold (comments directed towards new SENCO at T's new school).

The Majority of SENCO's I have come across now, and that is quite a few in only two years, is that they are little working knowlegdge or experience of our little darlings. The government insisted upon inclusion but didn't back this up with the appropriate training to those involved with delivering it. This isn't just the fault of the SENCO's its the fault of the system as a whole.

When T was first DX'd 3-4 years ago now, his current school hadn't even heard of Asperger's, his SENCO also put the same cr@p on our DLA form and we didn't get it. Even when we moved to Cornwall and the SENCO (apparrently :wallbash: ) knew about Asperger's she still disagreed with me about the DLA form, insisting as that as he didn't have ADHD what did I need the form for ... they were making us go through re-DX at the time for ADHD which T doesn't have, as they wanted to medicate the child and found ADHD and easier DX to understand. The DX came back the same as before!!!

I have met SENCO's that really want to help AS children but are at a loss as to know how, and have ended up having to guide them to avenues of help and guidance.

The crux of the matter is, is that our children are far to often being dumped into a system that just isn't prepared for them. This problem lies firmly at the feet of Mr Blair and the inclusion mantra that has been paraded by his government, saying that it was also a Tory policy, I don't want to start a political debate, but the people who can change this are those in the higher echelons of power.

HHxx

(ok getting of me soap box now!)

guys i didnt mean all sencos just the useless ones,t new senco is great with lots of experience but the previous senco @ previous sch is useless, she is the deputy head of that school. Alot of parents since the boys have left including an lsa have said how she isnt helping their children where these children clearly need help.The woman walks around with her nose in the air and give this attitude to everyone(i just to think it was just aimed at me).

Although my boys are at another school now i did go through some stressful times because off this senco,also i feel i need to continue for the other children still there.

These sencos need to be educated as well as ones with bias opnion should not be in that particular job dealing with these specail children that need the help not hinderence.

anyway will keep you informed how it goes.

The majority of first time claims for DLA seemed to get turned down as a matter of course. The system relies on it. Plenty of people shrug their shoulders at this point and wlk away. Of those that appeal more than half appear to be successful. I hope your claim falls into this catergory. Good luck.