Sign in to follow this  
MrsR

SPD

Hi again!

My son was recently dx'd with Asperger's, but upon more intensive reading/reasearch on the internet, I really think he's got SPD instead as his traits are much more that way.

Are there any other people with SPD out there, and is it still considered a form of Autism? I'm not bothered if it is, it's just that I want to get S's dx correct for future reference.

Thanks! :D

SPD is still considered ASD related and is also considered an indicator for AS/autism - ie. there is debate about whether it can stand alone or automatically indicates a diagnosis of AS/autism

almost all autistic kids have SPD to some level which is one of the reasons many are so literal and pedantic in their use of language.

I'd stick with the AS diagnosis personally as it covers the SPD but also allows for any other issues that may be ASD related to be taken into account. If your child is still young then other aspects may come out later as social complexity increases with age and typically the difficulties increase, particularly when moving into high school and the teens.

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

Hi -SPD = Semantic Pragmatic Disorder. I agree totally with what Zemanski has posted B)

My son was originally dx with this prior to dx of AS, but have to agree that it's prob best to stick with AS dx for the reasons Zemanski has already outlined. I personally think you will get more help for your child if they have an AD dx and SPD is so closely related to ASD type problems/traits (as Zemanski said there is debate amongst the professionals wether they can exist seperately or are always part of ASD) that the help you will need for either of of these will be amount to being the same. Hope that makes sense.

Luv Witsend.

My son was dx with SPD in 2003. He now has very few problems with language and it would be more accurate to describe now as ASD. I think there is a strong school of thought that SPD is now on the ASD spectrum rather than a dx on it's own, though many children end up with a dx of ASD AND SPD.

Lauren

As a dept we no longer use the term Semantic-Pragmatic Disorder as we believe this is a descriptive term for the language difficulties encountered in children with autism.

After a look on the NAS website it seems that they agree and no longer use it as a diagnostic term.

NAS Link

Thanks for the replies. I would make this longer, but S is driving me up the wall with his antics today and I'm having a hard time coping!

Anyway, I'll not pursue it with the doctor then and just leave it as it is. Thanks again! ;)

I agree with the other posters.

Awarenedss is growing and an ASD/Aspergers diagnosis will get you help in most areas.

If you seek help for SPD there is a strong likelihood that you will get blank looks and very little assistance. It may well be that your Dr was bearing this consideration in mind when choosing what to diagnose. Many Dr's are more finely attuned than you might think to which diagnoses get help, especially when it is a borderline decision.

Simon