Sign in to follow this  
Tez

Sensory Profiles

Just received the analysis of A's Winnie Dunne sensory profile.

I understand most of it but I'm not quite sure what is meant by "Low registration". I believe that its limited awareness of sensory input but could somebody please advise if i@m correct?

Edited by Tez

Having looked at the link that Minxygal provided I'm still a little confused.

The sensory profile we have been given is:-

Low Registration Much more than most people

Sensation seeking Less than most people

Sensory sensitivity More than most people

Sensation avoiding Much more than most people

Given that low registration is much more than most people, my understanding is that he should not be easily distractable because he's not noticing what's going on around him.

Info on low registration

But he is highly distractible because of his greater sensory sensitivity and his sensory defensiveness.

Info on sensory sensitivity

In her recommendations the OT states, " A is distracted by noise and cannot filter out background noise. Consequently he would find it almost impossible to focus on auditory instructions in, for example, a classroom setting and finds it very difficult to maintain an even state of alertness.........A will find it difficult to concentrate in a classroom environment due to minor noises and visual distractions such as movemnents by others. He can best manage his level of alertness and readiness to respond and learn in an environment where he can anticipate and control, as far as possible, what is going on around him."

I know that sensory integration dysfunction is complex and people can be both hyper and hypo sensitive but if I allow this report to be submitted for his statutory assessment without further clarification will it confuse the LEA panel or is it a useful piece of evidence that will help our case? The OT is phoning me to discuss the report and she is willing to help however she can with the statutory assessment process.

Hi Tez, sorry I can't answer any of your queries, but I was just going through T's OT report, when I read you post ... on T's assessment there is no mention of any Sensory Profile ... now obviously T does have sensory issues I didn't realise this was an OT area ... do I need to get this done?

HHxx

Hi HH,

I think OT for sensory problems is still really new in the UK, whereas in America it is now quite common. If you are able to have a sensory profile done by OT for T I'm sure it could only help you, but I know that most OT resources are really stretched so there might be a really long wait.

I have not read the links, but could it mean that he registers (hears/sees/etc) low registering things (eg: fridge humming, flouresent light bulb flickering) more than most people - that is he cannot ignore them as most people do.

Karen