Sign in to follow this  
gruff

Fear of Viruses

Hi

My 8 yr old son has a fear of viruses and unfortunetly heard over the radio that the Aids virus kills someone every 12 minutes.

Unfortunetly he has been obsessing over it for the last couple of days and it was only when he had a nightmare that caused him to sleepwalk that I found out that he's been waiting for it to kill him too. :(

Have explained that you can only catch it through blood to blood contact (didnt go near the bodily fluids explanation!) and thats why you always have a new needle at the doctors and blood is screened to make sure its not in there - but that unfortunetly Africa is a very poor country and dont manage to screen thier blood

so thats where most people are dying from it.

Can anyone give me any other ideas to set his mind at ease?

I think you have donoe it perfectly well already yourself! :thumbs:

My son had a fear of germs and still does. Has to have his cup washed at school before he'll use it incase there are germs on it and is constantly washing his hands. Thankfully, it has died down somewhat now that I believe but then his old LSA has left so I don't get any imput not from the teacher or his new LSA!! :wallbash:

Wish I had more ideas for you but I think you did great with what you have said! Did it help him???

Thanks Tylers Mum,

He accepted the explanation I gave him but he is still very worried, I guess I will have to keep reassuring him and hope the fear will not get worse!

We normally manage to keep things from bothering him to this degree, he does have the whole germ thing going on - but we normally manage to keep him from obsessing too much about it.

Thanks again :)