Sign in to follow this  
curra

Child care

Hi

Here I am again asking for help... Could any of you please suggest a type of child care for my son? He used to be looked after by Granny but sadly she had a stroke and can no loner help. :( Tthen I tried an after school club and child minders. He refused to go after a few times. You can imagine the meltdowns... :crying: He doesn't like clubs or neighbours, just wants to be alone at home. He has no dad or siblings. I want to continue working part time and I need to know what to do if he is ill or something. :pray:

Thanks for your ideas!!

Gloria >:D<<'>

My immediate suggestion is could someone come to your house to look after him if that is where he wants to be. My son is still at day nursery so we don't actually have this problem yet!

How old is he at the moment? My son was much better with a childminder when he was small, and hated any group care. This term, though, I've sent him to the after-school club (general childcare rather than an organised activity) once every week. At first he was really reluctant, but now he's discovered what their computers can do that ours can't, he's quite happy -- just don't expect him to eat the food!

This week I've had to use it twice after school, for two hours rather than one, and it was such a relief just to be able to say 'Remember you're in XXX Club tonight.'

My son is 12 and there's no way he'll go to any group after school. He used to be more docile until last year so I could take him to the child minder every now and then, but know he is very mind strong and he refuses - and that's it. :wallbash: I plan to work part time only during school times at a school,but there's always a day or two when they want you to stay a bit longer or go on a saturday etc. I guess I'll just have to say no without feeling too guilty. :ph34r: Calling a baby sitter to look after him if he's ill is a good idea. She/he would have to know a bit about Aspergers though and take no offence, be a good listener etc. Has anybody got any experience with this?

Gloria

Hi curra,

Someone willing to come to your home sounds like the best idea.

I used to work as a nanny before my son was born - specifically working with special needs children.

Nor sure how far your pennies will stretch (could you possibly get help with this??) but i had to go through a strict process before i was able to join the agency and did some relevant training (about the specific condition) before i began working for a family.

The agencies i knew of didn't just cater for full-time nannies, quite often i did temp work for them - which would fit in with needing someone 'now and then'.

Either that or - some childminders are willing to come to your home rather than there own.

Hope that lot helps >:D<<'> ....... (note to self - must stop rambaling!!! :blink: )

Hi Smileymab and All,

Thanks for your ideas! There are a few child minding agencies in my area that I can contact when the need arises. It's good to know that there are nannies who can work with special needs kids. My son has at least three bad colds in a year, plus nervous stomach aches when he's hit by school stress, so this is really something I have to plan ahead.

>:D<<'>

Gloria

I'd love to have someone who could take care of my 12 year old every now and then (or a bit more often than that!), but how can one find someone who is qualified for our children's complex needs, especially as my son is also diabetic but can't take properly care of his own needs there?