Sign in to follow this  
cindy30fish

Advice working with aspergers children

Hi i am a parent of an aspergers child, and my son is now 11, and had the diagosed for years.

we manage his aspergers very well but like all mums find melt downs draining.:tearful:

Any way to the point , i work in a school and they have an aspergers child there, and i have been asked to work with the child and of course said yes.

But i have to be honest i am a bit nervous as i deal with every day life with a child with aspergers but never worked with older children in education.

i am looking forward to the challenge and i find him a dear child but he cant focus easily.

I am really asking if any other parents have worked with children in a school environment with AS and have they got any handy hints.

If so i would be gratful if you have advise.

As a parent of a ASD child, who used to come to the school where I work I hope I can help.

You know all the basic stuff just by being a parent! You also have a starting point by using the tacttics you'd use at home in school - just be prepared to adapt them. There will be rules and school procedures to follow, but other members of staff should help you there, especialy the senco. If you don't know what they do in a given situation ask them.

As for the child concerned, well you know the best people to speak to there! Thier parents. I am sure it will help them to know you have direct and personal experience of ASDs.

Good luck, enjoy it!

Clear language that cannot be misinterpreted (I'm sure you know all this)

Firm, consistant boundaries applied with love and understanding

An ability not to take any meltdowns personally

A large dollop of humour

An ability to keep teachers on track with understanding

Keep communicating with the child so they know you are there for them

Keep communicating with child's teachers so they know you are there for them!

An ability to have a good cry, pick yourself up and fight another day

Basically everything you have learnt and applied as a parent, it won't always work but what a basis of knowledge you have - go for it and enjoy. You'll be great. Sounds like a cliche but working with children is rewarding, great fun and heartbreaking all at the same time. Love kat