Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

advocacy services, any experiences?

We have had an absolute nightmare trying to get services for some kind of autistic appropriate daycare services for our 20 year old son.

We have been fobbed off and told they have nothing to suit his needs etc, etc. I contacted a national carers group who were of little help and eventually contacted a local Autism Advocacy Service. The woman who visited was very helpful, took all our details and left. Two months later Ive received a letter in which she points out she has emailed and telephoned our social worker umpteen times and has been ignored.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I suppose SS feel they are not accountable to an outside agency but I am alarmed that they feel it is OK to ignore them.

Lorainexx

A long shot this mainly because the services I know about are pitched toward a younger age group than your son. They may be able to point you somewhere though:

link

Hope that helps

Edited by phasmid

We have had an absolute nightmare trying to get services for some kind of autistic appropriate daycare services for our 20 year old son.

We have been fobbed off and told they have nothing to suit his needs etc, etc. I contacted a national carers group who were of little help and eventually contacted a local Autism Advocacy Service. The woman who visited was very helpful, took all our details and left. Two months later Ive received a letter in which she points out she has emailed and telephoned our social worker umpteen times and has been ignored.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I suppose SS feel they are not accountable to an outside agency but I am alarmed that they feel it is OK to ignore them.

Lorainexx

lorryw,very similar to the experience I have had,the social services never bothered to reply back to anyone regarding my case nearly a year on.

My sister has to deal with the SS on a regular basis,for the clients in her care,and she told me most cases she has dealt with,with the SS have been ignored and they need constant prompting to do anything.

Have tried contacting the NAS to see if they have any day centres running?

A long shot this mainly because the services I know about are pitched toward a younger age group than your son. They may be able to point you somewhere though:

link

Hope that helps

:D

Phasmid,your link directs to Microsoft.com:

krism8hj.th.jpg

We have also been ignored by our SW for the last few months, despite repeated calls. My daughter is a bit younger than your son and if this is the shape of things to come I worry about the future.