Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Distinguishing between people and dolls

We've noticed over the past wee while that Logan (2 and a bit) doesn't seem to know the difference between real people and dolls/ornaments etc. He often reacts badly to baby dolls if faced with them (my NT daughter has loads) and today, for example, we have a Santa ornament perched on the mantle piece and when Logan was up in my arms he kept peeking at it and smiling then being all coy and hiding, and backing away if you put him near to it - just like he would a real person.

I also have a couple child mannequins for my dressmaking and he really doesn't know what to make of them, especially the girl mannequin who is the same size as my daughter.

Is this not being able to distinguish related to the difficulty in recognising facial expressions? Has anyone else had experience of this?

Thanks

Lynne

babies do this a bit from what I remember - that whole discovering yourself in a mirror thing is probably part of it but Logan is quite late to it which may be why it's so obvious, also it may be exaggerated because of the ASC.

don't know if it is connected with not being able to recognise faces though - they seem too real to him rather than immaterial as they were for Com

Zmanski