Sign in to follow this  
Mayor Quimby

Swimming Lessons for children with ASD

I am a teacher of a KS2 ASD class attached to a mainstream primary school.

My support assisstants aren't happy with the way the swimming lessons are being organised, but I just follow guidelines I was given and I consider what they are saying to be unsafe.

Has anybody got any decent links to swimming sites and ASD ?

Hi Mayor Quimby and welcome,

Have you approached your head with your concerns?

Do your students integrate into mainstream or are they based solely within the ASD class?

If they integrate into mainstream then they should be given the same consideration as their NT peers, i.e. your ASD students should receive swimming lessons alongside their peers - I would have thought the lessons ought to be administered by a qualified swimming instructor (for health and safety reasons). Alas, a qualified instructor isn't the same as a SEN knowledgeable qualified instructor. Perhaps The Disability Rights Commission would be able to give you some advice regarding possible discrimination - how to correct it. Tel: 08457 622 633.

If your students do not intergrate, do they use a public swimming pool or is it a pool specifically for individuals with special needs?

If they use a public pool, I would have thought there'd be all the more reason for them to receive qualified instruction - again for health and safety reasons(?) If the pool is for individuals with special needs does it have a full time onsite instructor?

My support assisstants aren't happy with the way the swimming lessons are being organised, but I just follow guidelines I was given and I consider what they are saying to be unsafe.

Contact your teaching union representative for some advice, you sound as if you're giving it your best shot, but you need to cover your back, the last thing you want is some angry parent coming after you because their child got hurt somehow whilst in your care.

I don't know what else to suggest... good luck.

Edited by Helen

There is DfES guidance available on this. I cannot remember the title but I am sure you'll find it via teachernet. What is it your TA's are unhappy about? As I am a TA with a shallow water life-saving certificate I might be able to help.

Thanks for the help.

My class has 6 children.

We have a lesson in swimming pool with another class of 9 other children who are Key Stage 2 pupils with moderate to severe learning difficulties.

The pool isn't a special needs specific pool, but as it is an old fashioned 20m pool with a deep end and a shallow end with not much else in it bar the pool, it suffices but it isn't briliant.

I am a qualified lifeguard (bronze medallion) and I passed the preliminary swimming teachers award about 10 years ago.

I am a very strong swimmer myself. I am a member of the local triathlon club (and I have compete in about 6+ races per year) and I help run the children's section of the club.

The LSA's seem to think that every member of staff should get in the water. I don't. I have two children who are strong swimmers and who are capable of swimming a length quite easily. All of the children bar the two strong swimmers work on a one to one basis in the shallow end. The two strong swimmers train at the deep end with me. I teach them at the side of the pool with my trunks and t-shirt on, should I need to get into the water.

None of the other members of staff are strong enough swimmers to go out of their depth for any lengh of time.

I'd agree with you, in fact I am almost certain that it is a requirement under guidance, that there should be at least 1 member of staff acting as a spotter. From the water you get a distorted view of things and it would be very easy to miss a child slipping under the water. I'll see if I can track down the guidance.

K has swimming lessons his teacher dosent get in the pool unless she has to.

Yes, it is. It doesn't give guidance for staff activities as such but there are a whole bunch of URL's on the last page to various swimming organisations.

In mainstream the lifesaver ALWAYS had to be out of the water so as to get an overview. I think this is the law. No adult was in the water with the children. Only if there was another lifesaver present could I get in the water. In an MLD school there were 2 lifesavers on the surface. Children with epilepsy had 1:1. Then there would be 1:1 for the rest of the children if possible or, as some were strong swimmers maybe 3 adults to 4 children. In residential it was life savers on side and 2:1 in the water.

In mainstream we were always dressed to leap in if necessary, I used to take scissors (in case of long hair getting caught in filters - a particular paranoia of mine) and insist that girls tied their hair back.

I think that if you feel uneasy about any situation than you must go with your intuition. Once I was asked to take 2 classes over to the pool with another teacher and I was supposed to be taking the lesson. There was no way I was going to have 60 children in the pool at once and had thought to take them in in differentiated grous. Talking to the other teacher he was going to let all 60 in for a free for all!! Needless to say we went with my idea! Love Kat

Our set-up is as follows (mainstream primary):

Public pool (private hire by LEA - no public present)

Pools own Lifeguards on duty

LEA trained instructor

LEA Swiming Trained teachers (from our staff) x2

3/4 Shallow water trained and certificated TA's

TA's are in the water with instructor/teachers on the poolside. Three TA's normally attend (I am trained and act as cover in case of illness/training). They will work in water with a group or, if required, 1-1 with any child needing that level of support.

This feels safe and it works. I also believe if no-one is available to observe the pool from the side and there is only 1 person present (besides the instructor/ teacher that is) they:

1. Should be trained in lifesaving techniques.

2. Observing only - not teaching and not in the water.

MQ, thanks for elaborating on your situation.

Just wondering... you said that you're a qualified lifeguard, does the pool have its own lifeguard(s) on duty at poolside when you are in the pool with your pupils?

Edited by Helen

Sorry, should have said these were all in pools on the school's site. Yes Phas, I too think you cannot teach and be on lifeguard duty. Although swimming can be seen as one of the more enjoyable aspects of school and I love swimming and teaching it. For me it was always the most anxious of lessons - too much to go wrong with too many possible dreadful consequences - but it was still a favourite of mine. Love kat

There is a Local Authority lifeguard on duty when we are in the pool.

However, as my children have severe learning difficulties and some engage in stimming behaviour I think we need someone who knows the children on the poolside.