Sign in to follow this  
amanda

what can u reccomend to read

my son has been diagnosed with asd i wastold b4 diagnosis that he was borderline, The consultant we saw diagnosed him as having asd. He asked me when did i start to realise my son had asd, i answerd honestly and said i have never 100% thought that he had asd there is too many things that dont add up, he is a very loving child always comes for a cuddle, he plays with toys mixes with other kids can be shy at times and does seem a little aquard somtimes hes had problems with his speech and has got learning difficulties but his reading is coming on now he is 8 he is about 12 to 18 months behind. i want to read up on asd can anyone recommend the best books to read

Hiya amanda and welcome >:D<<'>

There is a resources part of the forum that has lots of info about books.

The first one i read after my sons dx was Aspergers Syndrome by Tony Attwood - it's very good and considered one of the best.

Hope this helps :D

I learnt a lot by reading books by people with autism - Martian in the Playground : Understanding the Schoolchild with Asperger's Syndrome by Clare Sainsbury was really helpful for me.

Have you got a local autism support group or an information centre at the hospital where you may be able to borrow books - they do start to add up in cost!

If you are talking just in terms of books to improve his reading age, then I would go for ones that have lots of repetition in them and a good rhythm. Dr Seuss books are excellent and The Gruffalo is another good one.

Oops - just re-read your post :blink: The links sound a good idea.

Edited by Bullet

The first two books I read were Donna Williams' 'Nobody Nowhere' and 'Somebody Somewhere'... I still think they're an excellent place to start...

There's a lot more now available that's written with a greater understanding of the 'nature' of ASD's, but that in itself makes Donna's more 'personal' IYSWIM - more a view from a watchers point of view than newer stuff, in many ways...

L&P

BD :D

Hi

I've bought quite a few books and found that 2 of the best were:

Surviving the Special Educational Needs System: How to Be a Velvet Bulldozer by Sandy Row ?

This book is written by a mother who adopted 3 children with special needs (ASD). At first, I felt really disheartened as Sandy talks about her struggle to get the care that each of her children deserved (and what a struggle!). Then I got a little arrogant and thought if she can do it, so can I ? she gives a wealth of useful information from this book. I also think her circumstances were exceptional. Sandy also gives a great insight into what family life is like and describes in great detail each of the children's problems, traits, etc ? a lot of which I was very familiar and really struck a chord! This book has been like a bible to me.

Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals by Tony Attwood

Hope this helps.

Caroline.

Hi

I've bought quite a few books and found that 2 of the best were:

Surviving the Special Educational Needs System: How to Be a Velvet Bulldozer by Sandy Row ?

This book is written by a mother who adopted 3 children with special needs (ASD). At first, I felt really disheartened as Sandy talks about her struggle to get the care that each of her children deserved (and what a struggle!). Then I got a little arrogant and thought if she can do it, so can I ? she gives a wealth of useful information from this book. I also think her circumstances were exceptional. Sandy also gives a great insight into what family life is like and describes in great detail each of the children's problems, traits, etc ? a lot of which I was very familiar and really struck a chord! This book has been like a bible to me.

Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals by Tony Attwood

Hope this helps.

Caroline.

Another great book which you can dip in and out of is the OASIS GUIDE to asperger's syndrome by Bashe and Kirby just updated midddle of last year. Tony Attwood was also involved and it is based on the input from the american website. I have found it wonderful. My six year old sounds similar to yours as in "mildly" but find new challenges are always happening and bewteen this website and the above book my sanity is still a little tact.

Lxx