Sign in to follow this  
Steve_colour-se7en

News article .

Hello everyone,

Another news release this is worth a read.

Published: Wednesday, January 4, 2006 11:34 AM CST

New research is out regarding autism treatment.

Wisconsin Early Autism Project (WEAP), a Wisconsin-based treatment program for young children with autism, has published a study showing that 48 percent of children treated can achieve average functioning by age 7.

The research, conducted as a replication of work done at UCLA in the 1970s, found that a service model utilizing in-home intensive behavioral therapy with autistic preschoolers is so effective that 90 percent of the children who participated learned to use speech as their first form of communication. Half of the participants in the study reached average IQs after three to four years of treatment and were able to enter first grade and follow the regular classroom curriculum.

For the rest of thiis article use the following link http://www.dunnconnect.com/articles/2006/0...y/variety03.txt

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Half of the participants in the study reached average IQs after three to four years of treatment

oh how useful - they know that all IQ scores show are the ability to do IQ tests - so is their point that they managed to learn how to do them?

Will read the rest - thanks.

This sounds like ABA based training programmes

If my son's IQ had been reduced to that level after 3-4 years of intervention I would be fuming!!!!!

Zemanski

This is ABA and the studies done at UCLA in the 70s and 80s have never been replicated and never can be: they used aversives which are now banned in California and no longer acceptable practice to most ABA practitioners.

This study like any other works with an unacceptable control group. It's been known by Autistics themselves for years that most Autistics do in fact function on an equal level to their classmates around that age(I started talking when I was six) and most do use verbal langauge as their main form of communication, all without behavioural interventions.

This is a case of like when shops advertise an offer at half price, but provide no evidence that the item was not at that price to begin with. The study like all Autism studies has assumed it's conclusions about Autism are correct and the treatment is the solution to this problem they never prove existed.

The thing about half the kids reaching average IQ is that there is statistically no difference in the range of IQs within the autistic population and the typically developing population so half of them will have average or above IQ to start with - ABA programmes don't influence IQ

or do they? - it is known that stress suppresses IQ scores and I know that if Com had had to go through an ABA course he would have found it extremely stressful :devil: