Sign in to follow this  
Mother in Need

social services assessment

I have finally received the 'core assessment' from social services. Apart from many inaccuracies in it, I still also have not received the carers assessment. My requests for these have been made continually since May 2005.

Now that I have finally got the first, I am terribly disappointed. The assessment is totally lacking of any professionalism, it is not written on letter headed paper, it does not have a date, it does not state who wrote it nor is it signed in the end, it does not state which office has been responsible for doing the assessment, nor who to contact.

The 'recommended care plan' is just that, a few recommendations that have no basis of fact, i.e. "community care social worker has suggested a community care assistant provision to spend time with D up to 4 hours a week to ease some level of difficulties mentioned above.............the provision of the above if made available would need to involve the CCA building up a relationship with D" . Words are highlighted by myself. That's really as far as the care plan goes, with suggestions but no actions.

It is now a month later by the way, and I have not heard anthing more from them.

Is this all there is to this? They come around for a few times, then think they know it all (arrogant sods they are too) write an unprofessional non-traceable report, and then leave again, and that is it? Surely it can't be? Surely there should be more to this and some help should now be forthcoming?

Hi MIN,

Don't sign the Core Assessment until you are totally happy with it. You now have a legal right to a Carer's Assessment. You will find sample letters on this NAS page, they also give a sample complaints letter.

(look at the bottom of the page under related resources - Appendices Caring for a child with ASD (DOC)

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=305&a=4322

It is best to have a support worker who knows what they are doing, who can support you and argue your case.

Have a look on The Princess Royal Trust for Carers - http://www.carers.org/ if you have a local branch they should give you advice and support. Your local Mencap is another good source of support. There may be some other agencies in your area, maybe a parent group or local autistic society.

Good luck.

Nellie xx

Nellie,

I was never asked to sign the forms, they were just given to me as 'this is the assessment'. The carer's assessment supposedly has been done, but it was never shown to me.

In that link you gave me it clearly states that any help should be clearly quantified etc, but none of that has been done (those ifs and maybe's).

MIN,

I haven't seen a great deal of these assessments but the ones I did see had to be signed.

I think you should try and get some expert advice from someone who knows, then feed it back to SS. Or better still get someone to act as your advocate. The Princess Royal Trust for Carers may be willing to do this. You could try a phone call to the NAS they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sometimes SS give out forms for Carers to fill in as a Carers Assessment but you are entitled to a proper assessment.

Nellie xx

This is simply not acceptable. When we had our assessments done (as with yourself this happened only after making a fuss) we received a full report. Letterheaded paper and proper report style format. Most of what was suggested lasted only a few months as age limits kicked in and changed the 'team responsible' from one that was trying to one that couldn't care less, till we kicked up a stink!

Assuming you know who instigated the procedure (professional wise that is , I know you may have self refereed) then I would be contacting them to ask for an explanation of what this 'assessment' is supposed to have achieved for you, how your supposed to use it to get anything and, more to the point, do they think what you have been given is acceptable as a report.

As for the carer's assessment, tell them if you participated in it you must have blinked and missed it as you have no recollection of it happening.

Complain!

Edited by phasmid

MIN this happened to us as well ... everything was recommendations and nothing ever materialised, keep at them I wish I had and now in a new borough trying to sort it out again.

HHxx

Nellie, none of those groups are within a 70 mile (or so) radius, unfortunately.

HH, was your SS assessment in the county before you moved (ie mine?)

Phasmid, I know I did take part in the carer's asessment, though I have had the feeling all along that they treat the two assessments as one and the same thing.

Could someone clarify how the two are supposed to be different, and give examples of different types of help following such assessments please?

I am glad to hear it is not just me that thinks that this 'report' is wrong, and yes Nellie, that idea of an advocate sounds brilliant, but who and from where I somehow need to find out.. I'll give NAS a ring on Monday (if I can get my son to school that is...)

Does anyone know how the legal side of these assessment stands, i.e. once done do they have to do something to help? Do they have to follow their own suggestions? Can they just simply not ever get back to me (as they've been doing so far..)? As the thing is not dated nor signed nor named nor an office mentioned, is it actually a legal assessment? Etc etc???

Thanks for your help and advice everyone!!!! :dance:

Yep MIN same area .. have been in touch with the NAS branch in Cornwall, there are some really good people there and although not an advocate of NAS myself the group was superb I have an email addy if you want it.

HHxx

I have had the feeling all along that they treat the two assessments as one and the same thing.

Could someone clarify how the two are supposed to be different, and give examples of different types of help following such assessments please?

Does someone have an idea? Could I ask for the carers assessment for instance for help with the housework (I work in the day and don't get a chance to do much once my son is home), could I ask for help with my other two boys as they are missing out so greatly, could I ask for respite so I can do something for myself for a change like take a bath or go for a walk?

For my son's assessment, could I ask for someone to spend time with him so he has his much needed one-two-one and can then talk and talk and talk to someone, leaving me time to spend with my other two more neglected children?. Whatever else could I ask for for him?

Are these examples correct as to the differences between them, are they feasible and are they obtainable? Is there anything else I should ask for, or at least make them aware of?

Does anyone know how the legal side of these assessment stands, i.e. once done do they have to do something to help? Do they have to follow their own suggestions? Can they just simply not ever get back to me (as they've been doing so far..)? As the thing is not dated nor signed nor named nor an office mentioned, is it actually a legal assessment in the first place? Etc etc???

Any ideas here someone?

dont know much about this lot myself but it seems wrong

i have asked twice for those assessments u say about to my sons social worker and twice hes never got round to it or got in touch_yeah i should follow it up

theres never enough time to sort all this cr*p out what we have to do

its not right why should we have to do all the work

why dont they offer these things when they deal with you all comes back to money dont it

dont know much about this lot myself but it seems wrong

i have asked twice for those assessments u say about to my sons social worker and twice hes never got round to it or got in touch_yeah i should follow it up

theres never enough time to sort all this cr*p out what we have to do

its not right why should we have to do all the work

why dont they offer these things when they deal with you all comes back to money dont it

It is all definitely wrong, and, I think, only motivated and regulated by money and money only. The real person behind all the difficulties (i.e. us) are not seen, nor do they actively want to make a change for them. To them it is just a job, and as the ones I've met are not too bright, it might have been a matter of take this job or don't work, but there is no real personal aspiration and inspiration in these social workers. That's my feeling anyway.

The so called assessment started on kieran by social services in may 2004 never evr came to anything havent heard a word about since,they were going to assess him to see if he qaulified for the adult services available in our area, ive given it up as a bad job now.

lynn