Sign in to follow this  
Deblegs

1st Session with my new Support Worker

Dear All

I had my first session with Melissa, who will be one of my support worker's.

The session went very well and I felt very positive about it.

We spent a while talking and also I asked if she was able to give me some assistance in getting another car. She said that she would.

Next week we are going to do some risk assessments. These have to be done. It is for them to know what situations I would be very vulnerable in, so that I don't get into the situations. eg. If I was to be in a place that I did not know, I would be very vulnerable. We are also going to do some support planning. We are also going to do a Social story for buying a car.

For the car we will write down how to go about buying a car and what questions to aslk and how to avoid getting ripped off. Then when I have to buy another car, I can refer to the social story for help. I may not need a support worker the next time.

I also mentioned the leaving home issue as Dad had said that he would possibly like to see me settled. She was really on the ball.

I told her that I did not feel that I would ever be able to hold down a paid job. Actually there are very few people with AS that can hold down a job. Melissa said that you can't routine a job and jobs get stressful and pressured. She was very accepting of this.

From Debbie Hudson

Hi Debbie,

I'm so pleased for you. This sounds really positive, they really seem know their stuff and have a good understanding.

I can see why your dad would want to see you settled. It's a worry I have for my son. It would be great if you could get the support to leave home, into some supported living accommodation.

Good luck and do keep in touch.

Nellie >:D<<'>