Sign in to follow this  
elainem

Sense Of Smell

Hi,

ref my earlier post about sensory issues and food, thanks for the replies. Going on from this I have been thinking some more. My ds s has definate sensory probs in most areas but esp small/taste/texture.

Looking back over about the last 4 weeks his sense of smell seems to have changed. He has been commenting that he doesn't like the smell of some people (say perfume or unusual smell eg garlic) and in general his sense of smell seems either stronger or different. It seems to me this might be affecting his food preferences.

Does anyone have any experience of a change in this sense.

TIA

Elaine

Olga Bogdashina writes quite a lot on sensory issues in ASCs and she says that the sensory profile can change or even fluctuate quite dramatically - this can be stress induced sometimes

Zemanski

yep, this happens all the time with my lad, all of a sudden it will be the fabric softener, mum's perfume, even my deodorant, that he can't stand but we wont have changed any of these

we set out to change it using visual stimulus - sometimes it can be dramatic. Texture and swallowing can be changed too.

I suspect that other forms of input could also have an effect too

best wishes

during past 6 months this has become more of an issue with my son[although it was reported about in his autistic test when he was very younger]

but now a days he can smell everything around him-and complains about it an awfull lot

some of the smells he remarks on are-

petrol

cat wee

fresh air

chimneys

bonfire

poo

perfume

peoples tea on there breathe-what theyve eaten

list is endless i wouldnt mind but i cant smell these things most of the time

and he demands i tell him what the smell is

he even remarks to people you smell[of course they dont see it the way he means it :rolleyes: ]

i end up muttering "oh its just fresh air" when he quizs me -half the time i cannot smell it.