Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

need help and advice as new to all this with school

hi folks excuse me as im not well up on all this stuff

in fact im kept in the dark really about what should be happening

my sons 4 on action plus at school,he has been dx with global deveelopmental delay-hes year behind with lang

currently believe he has as and still awaiting camhs ect....

do i request a statement for him as i think the school dont tell me enough or actually take what i say about him very serious?

and to be honest i dont think they are very up on these matters

any advice gratefull regards marie x

if your son is not currently actually struggling in school, or the strategies available at SA+ have not been given time to work for him, or might be further adjusted to suit his needs then the LEA will argue that there is no need for a statement - your son has not been in school very long.

however, if things really aren't working and it is obvious that the school is struggling to meet his needs and they support you then there may be a better chance.

He does already have a diagnosis implying needs but an ASC specific diagnosis would be better in terms of getting a statement so it may be worth asking Cahms how long it will be till he is seen by them before deciding to ask for one.

talk to as many people as you can who know your child in school - teacher and senco in particular but also ask to speak to the ed psych, occupational therapy, etc. about your concerns (you can ring direct and speak to an EP in the social inclusion dept. - the phone number will be on the LEA website or you can ring the LEA and ask for it) The more professional support you have for your son the more likely it is his needs will be addressed and the better chance of getting a statement if he needs one.

the point is not should he have a statement but are his needs being met - it is possible without, just pretty rare.

Zemanski