Sign in to follow this  
jayjay

Is this quite common for ASD

This is more a query then a question my son ASD has been struggling at school lately over certain issues that happen every week, as an example:- every Monday the school take the class swimming this has been the case for my son for about one and half years now, but guaranteed every Monday he is in floods of tears because he doesnt want to go, the school say that when he is there he enjoys it and the same for football at the school. My question is, is it the change of routine, or the fact that he has to change into different clothes or swimwear(as he has co-ordination problems and is double-jointed) or is it a routine he has got himself into because it is every week and it seems to be stuck in his head that the day is swimming so he automately gets upset, he gets so upset and tearful it is heartbreaking to see and i just want to understand what is upsetting him. :tearful:

jayne xx

This is a hard one, 'cos there might be an 'historical' association (i.e. an established pattern he needs to follow, as you suggested) but it might be that the schools view that he 'enjoys it when he gets there' is a slightly skewed one. Could just be he DOES IT when he gets there 'cos he doesn't feel he has any other option (and given that all the teachers will be in the pool or on the pitch he possibly doesn't!)

Try to ask him casually - at a time way outside of the 'event' time - whether he does enjoy these things, and also ask yourself if they're pursuits he enjoys ouside of the school timetable. If he hates them both the rest of the time, chances are he hates them in school time too...

hope that's someway helpful

BD :D