Sign in to follow this  
lindy-lou

what would you do?

need some advice please,i have sort of been offered a job out of the blue,its 3 days a week 9.30am til 5 monday,tuesday and friday,i have got childcare for india sorted but the problem is that my earlybird course is on a friday :( i dont want to give up going but i also need the money from the job badly,i feel my responsibility to india and getting the info and support i need from earlybird is huge,but then i have to consider that my family need the extra income,i just dont know what to do :(

Hiya,

Have you asked your new boss if you can have fridays off - not sure how long the Early Bird course runs for - maybe you could go into work on a different day until the course finishes??

Explain your situation to them and see if they can work around it. As a carer you have certain rights around care issues and this may be covered by them - I don't know. The thing is if they really want you I am sure they will help find a way around this. If not they are not the right place/people to be working for.

i have asked and he needs someone to do fridays because he needs to be at the other shop then,earlybird runs for 4 months and its only just started.

Agree with smileymab - I would try and negotiate with your employers so that you can go to the course - how many sessions are left? It's a very personal decision and this is just my opinion, but I would put the job first. It's difficult to find work which fits in with caring responsibilities and you have found something that suits you. The course will end eventually but the job is a permanent thing which will benefit you in the long term. You aren't letting your daughter down by taking the job: the extra money will help you to provide for her needs too.

Theat's what I think, but only you can decide what feels right.

Lindy lou - I posted before I saw your reply - sorry! I don't know how the Early Bird works, but is there another family member or friend who can go along to the course instead and take notes for you?

Agree with smileymab - I would try and negotiate with your employers so that you can go to the course - how many sessions are left? It's a very personal decision and this is just my opinion, but I would put the job first. It's difficult to find work which fits in with caring responsibilities and you have found something that suits you. The course will end eventually but the job is a permanent thing which will benefit you in the long term. You aren't letting your daughter down by taking the job: the extra money will help you to provide for her needs too.

Theat's what I think, but only you can decide what feels right.

thanks kathryn,this is what i am thinking,the job is permanent and will benefit all my children,but i do feel like im letting india down by not attending earlybird when all i want to do is whats right by her,i will talk to the employer again and see if he will consider changing the day but i dont think he will,the other thing is i dont want to put earlybird in jeopardy beause there are only 5 families on it and the NAS state there should be 6 so if i drop out they may not be able to continue it :(

Lindy lou - I posted before I saw your reply - sorry! I don't know how the Early Bird works, but is there another family member or friend who can go along to the course instead and take notes for you?

not really,my mum and dad are disabled and in ill health,my sister has 3 children of her own and my husband cant get time off work to attend,i dont feel i would get the benefit of it either if i didnt attend myself.

Edited by lindy-lou

In that case I would go for the job I'm afraid to say - what happens if you turn it down and then someone else pulls out of the earlybird. Chances are the earlybird could be rescheduled and there maybe more parents able to attend then.

If you've only just started the EB course could you ask to transfer to another one, run on a different day, next time that they run one ... the job sounds important ... difficult decision ... :(>:D<<'> >:D<<'>