Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Problems with motivation

Hullo :D

How can i help little one with motivation?

I'm sure it's a self exteem thing, he will try something once, and if is the slightest bit difficult, he won't try again. It's really getting him down :( .

As an example - he has been given a tyco shell shock for his birthday - it's a fantastic remote controled toy. He was so pleased when he opened it. He tried it once, found it difficult to control, and gave up. He wants to play with it - but will ask me to control it, and gets upset, and gives up, if i don't.

This is the same for most parts of his life - he hasn't got the 'umph' in him to keep trying.

He doesn't seem to have the confidence. :(

You could reinforce the idea that it doesn't matter whether he manages to acheive the thing, just as long as he tries to have a go. You could also tell him to try more slowly, to try it a different way and stress how you also sometimes have to give up on things and come back to them later.

Thank you Bullet.

It's very difficult, as a parent, to see my son give up so easily and seem so deflated.

This evening we talked about how to control his new toy - he was full of questions about it! Looking back, i can see now, he just needs things explained to him in detail before he's even willing to try. He still gave up very quickly - but we're getting there. It's so obvious to me now!

same as my son he will give every thing a first attempt then cant see the point doing it again- he even argues over the fact we need to get dressed and undressed in a day :blink::hypno: what makes it so hard is he wont allow me to help or show him or explain things to him-if hes given up then its set in stone

:huh:

how do you get round this ??

i have zero motivation zero self esteem zero confidence the only place i am good at talking is online

Hullo :D

How can i help little one with motivation?

I'm sure it's a self exteem thing, he will try something once, and if is the slightest bit difficult, he won't try again. It's really getting him down :( .

As an example - he has been given a tyco shell shock for his birthday - it's a fantastic remote controled toy. He was so pleased when he opened it. He tried it once, found it difficult to control, and gave up. He wants to play with it - but will ask me to control it, and gets upset, and gives up, if i don't.

We went through this with toys and, more recently, the PS games - now J has developed the strategy [after quite a bit of pushing from us] of asking other children to help him through the difficult bits ...

Life gradually changes ... sometimes so slowly that we don't notice - don't fret too much :)

Hi Smileymab

We have this problem too. It gets so dissappointing especially with presents he's been given when if it doesn't work first time he doesn't want to do it again. We thought we were doing something wonderful getting him a balance/running bike at christmas. It is a wooden one, two wheels, no pedals and you sort of scoot along on it. They are very popular in Germany etc apparently. Anyway we go to the park with this thing and it is a disaster.

It didn't go fast straight away and so he didn't want to do it.

We got it because we didn't think he would ride a normal bike - keeps claiming they are too wobbly. I since found out that he can ride one but he prefers them smaller than they should be for his height.

I don't know whether he will take to riding it or if we will accept defeat and get a normal bike at eastertime. In the meantime he is playing on it in the garden and has ridden it around the block each time with the reward of some of his christmas chocolate/sweets for trying.

Other than this I suppose the task/toy has to be really easy until they are confident enough to take a tiny step forward.