Sign in to follow this  
clintess

does anyone know

hiya.i have been told by my ds infant school they will be looking to statement him.This is his new school thas given lots of help.He is in year one and they said he could remain in mainstream.

i would agree while he is at this particular school thats fine,it not a big school and they give him every sen measure they can but i would dis agree when he went into my other ds school in the juniours and it is a very large school and just going to collect my other ds my ds2 gets very freaked by this because they are so many children there.could i request when his statement goes ahead i can ask for him to go to a sen school?would i have that choice ideally i would like him to join his cousins school to help meet his needs.your advice would be gratefully appricated.

I would say this is very early days for looking that far ahead. Statements are written to cover a period of 12 months. At the end of this time they are then reviewed to see what progress has been made and whether the targets set have been met or not and, if necessary, set new ones. The statement in the year before he is due to move to the next school is normally the time when they would look at what school can provide for him at that time. An awful lot can change in three years (the time in my lea he'd move to middle school).

My advice is to take things steady for the moment and concentrate on his immediate needs, don't look to far into the future just yet.

HTH

is his school just infants?

if so I can understand why you need to be aware of changing school now but Phas is right you need to concentrate on getting the statement for meeting his needs now and then once it's in place it can be adjusted (amended) to take into account future needs such as transitions to new schools etc

Zemanski