Sign in to follow this  
amberzak

Actually cooked a full dinner the other night

I was really impressed with myself on Friday night because I went out and bought ingredients to cook a roast dinner and I cooked it. I only had a little help, and that was just in the way of telling me what to do (ie, check on the potatoes every 15 minutes and put the cooker on 6 even though it says 8 on the packet, so it cooks better.)

I am really impressed with myself.

Well done amberzak. :clap: Roast dinner isn't the easiest thing to do, I find, as there are so many different things which have to be ready at the same time.

I bet you really enjoyed eating the results. :)

K

That's brilliant! I agree with Kathryn, roast dinners are really hard to get right. I used to panic about how long everything takes to cook as there are so many elements tothink about.

Well done you.

Sue

xx

I panicked the whole time about some things cooking and other not. The only thing that wasn't quite right was the yorkshire puds - i will use frozen ones next time.

I really enjoyed cooking. I want to cook more.

That's brilliant :D. Roast dinners are notoriously tricky, I did my first proper one the other week.

were you successful at making your roast dinner?

does anyone have any other receipes that I can steal to do some more cooking. It has to be precise directions, such as check every 15 minutes

glad your dinner went well,i find the timings hard to get on a roast but its lovely when its done,i love thick gravy,never made my own yorkshires though,keep meaning to though,my mums home made ones are lovely

I was really impressed with myself on Friday night because I went out and bought ingredients to cook a roast dinner and I cooked it. I only had a little help, and that was just in the way of telling me what to do (ie, check on the potatoes every 15 minutes and put the cooker on 6 even though it says 8 on the packet, so it cooks better.)

I am really impressed with myself.

Yum yum well done, I like making lasagna (I don't eat meat) cause you can make all the different bits whenever and then put them together... so the timing doesn't go wrong as easy as some things. I don't have a written down recipe cause my mum taught me how but I will try and make a written down one for you if you want.

Daisy (not a very good cook)

were you successful at making your roast dinner?

does anyone have any other receipes that I can steal to do some more cooking. It has to be precise directions, such as check every 15 minutes

Try this one which is very easy as it doesn't need much supervision once it's in the oven!

Heat oven to 200 c (400 F)

Four sausages cut in half

Three large potatoes cut into quarters

Two red onions cut into quarters (the ordinary kind will do as well)

Spread these out in a large shallow dish

Sprinkle the following over the top (leave out anything you don't like, or add your own favourite seasoning too):

Two teaspoons dried mixed herbs ( any herbs like rosemary or sage are good)

salt and pepper

two garlic cloves,crushed (you can buy it ready crushed in a jar)

Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)

bake in oven for 30 mins. Turn everything over and cook for another 15 mins. (Check potatoes are done by sticking a fork in them, cook for another 10 minutes if necessary).

Serve with baked beans, I really like pickled red cabbage with this too. :)

Eat and enjoy! This recipe is very adaptable as you can use any kind of sausages you like and other vegetables too - green peppers, carrots and parsnips are good.

It strikes me that there's a real gap in the market here for anyone who is good at writing recipes.

Not just for people who need precise instructions because of an ASD either - I'm absolutely hopeless at cooking and would love something that gives proper instructions! For example, I bought a book that was supposed to be "easy cooking for novices" and the first recipe I read said you had to saute the potatoes. What's a saute when it's at home?

Another cook book gathering dust on the shelf. I think I'll stick to opening packets.............

What is 'lightly frying' though? Frying is cooking something in a shallow pan in oil or butter until it is cooked, as I understand it... is 'lightly frying' doing it only a bit so it's not properly cooked?

Daisy

who cannot distinguish 'crunchy' from 'raw and therefore not for eating'

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Amberzak,

Looking for easy recipes, here is another really easy one and very delicious.

Chicken with Apricots

Preheat Oven to 180c

1 Whole Chicken Place in large baking tray

combine the next two ingredients & pour over the chicken

1x 450g can Apricot Nectar

1 Pkt French onion soup (dried type) any brand

toss in 10 - 12 dried apricots.

Cover baking tray with foil for first 45 mins then remove

Bake in oven approx 1 hr 15 mins keep basting with the juices

to check if chicken is cooked stick a skewer in the thigh area if juice is clear not red

it is cooked.

Serve with steamed rice & broccoli & carrots cut into thin strips

Easiest recipe for steamed rice

In a large Microwave proof bowl add 300ml long grain rice

then 600ml of boiling water, add then stir, cover with plastic wrap tightly

Microwave for 10 mins on high

I remember years ago a friend completed a chefs cooking course and this was his secret recipe, beautiful served with the rice and vegetables. So easy too.

Enjoy :D

Hailey

What is 'lightly frying' though? Frying is cooking something in a shallow pan in oil or butter until it is cooked, as I understand it... is 'lightly frying' doing it only a bit so it's not properly cooked?

Daisy

who cannot distinguish 'crunchy' from 'raw and therefore not for eating'

Daisy,

"Lightly frying" to me means frying for about 2 minutes on either side until something is just changing colour, eg meat or potatoes just starting to go brown, or in the case of onions, going slightly transparent.

Recipe terms are vague - I find it much easier to cook something if I've watched someone do it and I know how everything is supposed to look.

K