Tez

Physical Contact with pupils

A's home tutor witnessed a full scale autistic shutdown this morning for the first time. A was completely unresponsive and not knowing what was occuring or how to react in a moment of non-thought she put her hand on his arm to try and get some response, think she might also have shook his arm slightly. It actually worked and is a strategy that we would use and are quite happy for her to use.

However, having done this, she then paniced and starting worrying that either A or I would make a complaint that she had initiated inappropriate physical contact with a teenage boy. Have reassured her,as has A, that this will not happen and that she acted appropriately. Infact, the law, does allow her to do this see guidance notes here.

This has set me thinking about other incidents that I have heard of where teachers are worried about complaints of abuse or refuse to change nappies etc. for fear of repercusions. I know that we do have to protect children, but if teachers are so worried about the repercusions of such a small action, has the pendulum swung too far the other way? How would we feel if something tragic happened because a teacher didn't interevene for fear of the repercusions? How do others feel that teachers should handle situations such as these?

Edited by Tez

Everyone is different - I'm just thinking that if my daughter had been touched by a relative stranger like this she would have instinctively lashed out.

The guidance notes are interesting: I see they allow that contact might be appropriate in situations where one has to comfort a child. When I was a MSA at my son's infant school the official line was to err on the side of caution and avoid touching, but this is impossible in an infant school where some children are always rushing up and give you great bear hugs! Do you stand there like a pole with your arms clamped to your sides, push the child away or return the hug? :huh:

Like all the other staff I found myself instinctively putting a reassuring hand on a child's shoulder or arm if they were upset, it would have felt strange not to. Obviously with older children the rules change and teachers have to be careful not to lay themselves open to malicious accusations.

I suppose these rules have to exist but they probably have made innocent people overcautious.

When an LSA was being hugged by a girl (about 14 years old), she held her arms at her side and didn't touch the girl. She told me afterwards that it broke her heart that she couldn't hug her back, but they aren't allowed to touch the youngsters at all.

Awkward situation, but I can see the pro's and cons, and I have personally (back in the old days when I was still teaching) been accused by a child of hitting him when I only put my hand on the boys shoulder. Fortunately for me, the kid was a real troublemaker and hence no-one took him serious, as even though I was innocent, the upheaval it would have created would have cost me dearly.