Sign in to follow this  
loulou

been to allergy clinic

Hi,

Have been to the allergy clinic (NHS) with Kai today, as he has asthma, eczema and hayfever. He also has a runny nose practically EVERY day and sneezes about 50 times a day :( .

Anyway, the doc said he has imflammation in his nose (can't remember the name), due to allergenic responses. He's given him a nasal spray (fliconaise).

He's also said about cutting out milk, egg, wheat and soya completely from his diet for three weeks. I then have to introduce one of the foods at a time, very slowly.

I can't see it working as his diet is very limited and he also has school dinners (thet're not allowed packed lunch). Maybe i'll wait until the summer holidays.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

Also, he's been referred to the Ear Nose and Throat team as they think he may have to have his tonsils and addenoids out too :( . Poor boy.

loulou x

loulou. Your poor son :( I always feel so sorry for people with asthma and hayfever and those kinds of allergies which affect the ENT area. Having a cold is so miserable but at least you know it's going to clear up; but allergies that cause the same symptoms of a cold, I can imagine how absolutely awful that must be.

loulou... I know the propspect of surgery is probably very scary but I hope something can be done to make things better for your little one.

Lauren

Scary, isn't it? I am so glad that mainstream medicine is now recommending this sort of intervention. It has removed the need for grommits, etc for lots of children.

You will definitely need a doctors letter to sort out the school. This is a medical need and the school cannot apply a blanket policy.

Although it may seem horrendously difficult from where you're standing now, within a very quick period of time you will be on top of it. Everybody makes mistakes at the beginning and even now I make the occassional slip-up.

Marilyn le Breton's 'Diet Intervention and Autism' was my bible for the first three weeks of GFCF. It is adaptable to soya-free and egg-free too. Read it, find a few GFCF websites and just start getting your head around what is and isn't allowed.

And believe it or not, my son's diet has expanded enormously since we did it. No more runny noses or ear infections, either. He choses to do the diet too. If I say don't eat that it will give you a sore tummy, he always puts the food back.

Hi,

Thanks, i will get the book ASAP. I'll also go and scan the aisles of the supermarkets for their "free from" ranges. I think the only way to do it is to chuck out everything that he can't have (or lock it in the attic!) so he has no choice. Mean I know, but listening to him now snoring and dribbling like an old man makes me think it's worth the tears.

Loulou x