Sign in to follow this  
darky

buses

well i bought an mp3 player to try and help with the bus problem. she choose the songs on it and actualy very anxiously walked passed a bus, great!! well after school was a totaly different scenario. she went into total panic, and was screaming like mad. she was fighting to get away from me and fell over :( shes getting so heavy now to try and restrain, i cant do it anymore.

so now im seriously thinking about a major buggy for situations we cannot avoid. at the very least she will be safe, i can quickly get her away from situations and she can still listen to the music whilst on the move. thanks for all your advice.

This situation is getting serious. If you are not able to restrain her and she is going to run without any concern for where she is running to you need to consider an alternative. I think you need to ask about transport to and from school for her safety (and yours). Even if you are within the prescribed walking distance this can be done. If at all possible I'd get some letters from people who have seen this happen and can verify what is happening. Then get in touch with the relevant dept in your LEA and see what they have to say.

thanks phasmid. we live over 3 miles away from the school but because we CHOOSE for her to go there, lea wont fund any transport. we cant park outside the school its silly with mums double parking and stand still traffic. so we have to park about 1/4 a mile away, BUT WE HAVE TO WALK PAST 2 BUS STOPS. its getting silly now.

Ask your LEA for their SEN specific transport policy (even one as useless as yours should have one). There may well be a means to go around the 'parental choice' clause that most LEAs insist on. For a start it could be termed a blanket policy which IPSEA cober on their website. This is worth chasing up.

Can you arrange to park in the school grounds?

Most schools should have a disabled space? Or is that just wishful thinking?

IPSEA have some good stuff on transport

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/transport.htm

The following is taken from the ACE SEN handbook

' R v London Borough of Havering, ex parte K (1998) .. implies that if an LEA names the parent's preferred school and this is over walking distance, the LEA must pay the transport costs unless they reach an agreement with parents that they should pay. '

HTH

HHxx