Sign in to follow this  
linny

R.D.I relationship development intervention?

Hi, just wondered if anyone is doing this programme. I have read steve gunstein's book( R.D.I with children,adolescents and adults) and felt that it made a lot of sense. There are lots of positve stories of how it is being used in other parts of the world with great success. The programme can be done by parents and is not too time consuming but when you get further on partner work is required. It seems to be backed up by clinical studies which have shown that it is v useful in supporting children who have social difficulties. lin

for once a developmental programme from the states rather than a behavioural one - still haven't looked closely enough to see how it differs from ABA though, which i wouldn't recommend.

if you are interested in using a developmental programme focusing on the child's own strengths and interests Intensive Interaction is the british one and looks very positive - also there are at least 3 LEAs that use it now so you may be able to access it free.

Zemanski

Hi Linny

A friend of mine has been doing RDI for a few months now with her 5 year old son and to say she is evangelical about it is an understatement!!!! She has previously done about 3 years of intensive ABA with him and felt that although it gave him skills that he needed, it did little or nothing to help his motivation and all of his learning was rote and needed prompting. She very much wants him to think for himself and believes this program will help him to do that. ABA, like so many interventions treats the symptoms of autism in an attempt to make someone more manageable and, dare I say it, socially-acceptable. RDI on the other hand is trying to work on the core deficits of autism itself and is attempting to set development back on to a more NT path; building up from where things deviated - if this is possible?

She's got me interested enough to buy books and I'm half way through watching the 5 hour introductory DVD :lol: and so far I have to say that Gutstein talks alot of sense. I can't argue with anything he's said and if his program 'does what it says on the tin' then I think it merits serious consideration. I'm yet to be convinced that it can at this stage - Baddad will vouch for what a cynical old bag I am :lol: - but I'm coming round to the idea of giving it a go. My friend is adamant that I should not go down the road of ABA - which is what I was just about to do when I met her :lol: as she insists that RDI is much better. This jury is still out but dipping a toe in the water is now a distinct possibility! :lol:

For more info look at: www.rdiconnect.com

Zemanski - I'd be interested to find out more about Intensive Interaction. Any web addresses or info I can look at?

ohf!

Thanks all, i am very impressed with gutsteins book too and he seems to have 20 plus years of developing the rdi programme. I have been in touch with rdi uk ( got addy from the website) and they have been v. helpful.I am going to start the programme too and would love to be iin touch with others just starting the programme. My son is 8 and we live in the midlands, lin

Thanks all, i am very impressed with gutsteins book too and he seems to have 20 plus years of developing the rdi programme. I have been in touch with rdi uk ( got addy from the website) and they have been v. helpful.I am going to start the programme too and would love to be iin touch with others just starting the programme. My son is 8 and we live in the midlands, lin

Can I ask how you set up a programme? Is it like ABA/Son Rise where you end up converting a room in the house or need to get in a whole gaggle of therapists or is it something you can do as a family? I read about RDI a while back and thought it sounded interesting but didn't look into it any further.

Intensive Interaction - guess we do that with our son a bit on a basic level. Our preschool teacher used to use it with him at times too. I find he chatters away much more when the house is quiet and we do simple activities he loves such as blowing bubbles or blowing up a balloon and letting it fly round the room and just follow his lead. He loves the computer and nursery found he became much more chatty when using the computer and would explain to the other children how to play a particular game which was great as talking to others spontaneously is something he finds hard

Lx

PS Live in Mids too, Leicestershire!

Hi Liz, no I don't think it's like ABA at all, on the website it says that they have just had rdi evaluated alongside other more intense ( and time consuming programmes) and it did v. v well. I would look at the rdi connect website and download their free 32 page booklet. I like their approach for my son, who at first site seems to have lots of skills but who is failing to make proper relationships with his peers.We don't have any therapists, we are just doing the programme from the books and using the chat room to get help.I live in Nottingham, best wishes Lin