Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

furious with local Council

I attended a meeting several evenings ago under the guise of modernisation of day care services for people with learning difficulties.

It began with a speech about a ?1.8 millon deficit in the Social Service budget and how things would be tight etc etc. Most of the audience was made up of people with a range of learning difficulties, older parents and a few bods from local organisations. I felt so sad for these people who were deeply upset at the changes that were about to be thrust on them. The day care centre they currently use is on a prime spot of land. I have seen a copy of a department meeting which points out that the centre no longer meets current health and safety standards and that its closure would result in a saving of ?168,000. No mention of repair was made so its obviously on the chopping board with the council eager to sell the spot for housing. A large mental health day centre has recently been closed and it doesnt take a genius to see this is going the same way. Lots of talk about accessing local recreational facilities and making use of these to a higher degree. But as I say all very vague

We have no provision in the area for adults with autism and when I raised the issue I was met with lots of hand wringing and soothing noises but nothing concrete.

I feel so angry and bitter that the the needs of the least able and least vocal in society are put at the bottom of the heap. Please dont forget that autistic children will grow into autistic adults and the more pressure put on our Government and Councils the better. I know most of you are probably fighting your way through the education system but beleive me that is a 1000 times better than the adult care system.

Loraine, >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I have to agree, provision for adults is dire. Many parents look after their adult offspring without any support, help or respite, sometimes for years. It's very difficult for parents to imagine their children as adults, we always think that adulthood is a long way off, believe me folks, it's just around the corner.

Parents have enough problems fighting for their children, the thought of having to carry on the fight when they become adults is scary. What the government should be doing is preparing children with devolpmental problems and learning difficulties for adult life. This would save the government a fortune in the long run, unfortunately that's not how it works.

My adult son is one of the lucky ones, he does have full time residential care to meet his needs, but he may not have needed that level of care if the government hadn't ignored his needs in the first place. They are wasting money not saving it!!!

Nellie xx

Loraine,

Have you thought of forming an action group. The NAS might be able to point you in the direction of the legislation to beat the local authority with. It's about knowing your legal rights, being forceful and knowing who to target. I'm not saying it's easy, even the best campaigners have a battle.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Loraine,

I do sympathise and agree with you. Having emerged, bruised and battered, from our battle with the education system, I'm only beginning to turn my thoughts to what happens next. In 11 months time my daughter will be officially an adult and that's such a scary thought. I have no idea where she'll end up in the long term.

K x

Nellie,

I have formed an action group of sorts. Another Mum and I are determined to fight for our lads. We have a local ASD support group but they are concerned with education and dont seem to see the long term picture.

We have been in touch with our local MP who is also on the Governments Autism Working Group. She has really got her teeth into this issue. I even had a reply from the head of adult services who had previously ignored my letters until my MP pushed the right buttons. The answer wasnt comforting though, lots of stuff about lack of finances blah, blah blah.However, MP wasnt happy with her reply either and is continuing to press for progress.

We also had a meeting with the head of our local Council. He was very sympathetic (and probably vote chasing) and promised to help in any way he could. He even said we could have a building rent free if we wanted to set up something ourselves, but that would let SS off the hook

We have been toying with the idea of involving the NAS and asking for help and advice. I will take the plunge and contact them tomorrow.

Im sure that SS departments throughout the country are breaking the law by not providing autistic specific provision. If I had the energy and the funding I would persue them through the European Court Of Human Rights.

I am tired of pointing out how many children will soon be knocking on the door of SS and no services will be in place to meet their needs.

I know its really hard to imagine your child as an adult but it happens in the blink of an eye. Please keep an eye on whats happening in your local area and if you are not happy say so.

Lorainexx