jools

name calling

G has been getting into trouble at school for name calling (something he does at home too if someone is annoying him)

his teacher has told him that unless he stops upsetting others he will be moved away from them.

i have now found out this is what happened on tuesday when they went swimming.

he had called 2 girls names so his teacher went on bus and told the boy he was sat with that he had to move away from G because he hurts people :angry:

his teacher told me this and can't see anything wrong with it!

i know he can't be calling others names but i also know this approach is not the right one and won't stop him.

he is so wound up at the moment and his tics are so bad i'm sure its stress related

can anyone give me any tips on helping him to understand that name calling is upsetting for the children hes directing it to?

wade calls names too but can't stand it when someone else calls him names. perhaps this is your sons way of getting to kids thinking that because name calling gets to him that it will have the same effect on them and make them feel the same way he does when someone calls him a name? in our house we call it "wade logic".. :D the teacher telling the kid that your son hurts people was very wrong.. because he will take it literally and perhaps think she is lying about him and think she is telling the kid that he will "physically" harm him... i know that's what wade would think if someone said that about him. perhaps you could sit him down and explain to him that what he is calling them isn't true.. say perhaps for example "you called Tommy a dummy, do you know what a dummy is?" and explain to him the definition of whatever he called them. perhaps then explain to him that he doesnt like being teased or called names so it makes the other person feel sad when he calls them names. ask him how he would like to be called that. i've found with wade that if I make the situation something he can relate to and understand emotionally he will understand the impact that his actions have on others. I would definitely take up the teachers actions with the head teacher or something though, what she did was not right or fair!

hope this helps even a little bit :)

at home we sit him down repeatedly to try and explain.

i'm not sure what i want school to do but there must be a better way

hubbie is seeing the head today!