Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

Introducing gluten free foods

I've been advised by Sunderland ARU to trial the GF diet with J, so for the past couple of weeks I've been sourcing out foods that he'll eat and testing him out with them, with the intention of having a decent repertoire in place by the time we start the diet properly at the beginning of the school summer holidays. Consequently we've nowhere near started the diet yet but are just feeling our way around.

However, J's been having some tummy pains lately, more so than usual, culminating in him being up most of last night with horrible constipation pains. I'm aware that a sudden start to the diet can result in upsets like this but I just want to be sure if it's possible with a very gradual introduction as we're doing.

Hope one of you old GF hands can offer some advice. I tried ringing the ARU on Friday but Paul W wasn't available.

Ta

Karen

x

What did he eat the day before? Are you keeping a food and behaviour diary? It really helps to work out connections. There is a possibility that it's not just gluten & casein that re a problem.

I actually advocate going cold turkey so to speak so that all the pain is over in a week or two, rather than prolonged withdrawal where it goes on indefinitely. It's called a herxheimer reaction when someone feels worse like this, and it's a question of being prepared for it and going with it.

You can ease constipation by adding more oil into the diet - perhaps olive oil and herbs in (GF) pasta (can't remember what that dish is called). It helps soften the stools.

The other thing is, has he ever been tested for candida? You can send his stools off for analysis, delightfully.

Karen - you are in safe hands!! :D

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: ** Hi Delia** :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

If she does leave any gaps,I'll try to help fille them in, but I suspect jaded'll have you sorted in no time...

L&P

BD :D;)

Cheers, both.

Actually J has been behaviourally off the wall in the last week, hence my thread about the fighting incident in school and subsequent rumbling. Oddly since he was so poorly last night he's been much calmer today, something that I've noticed often in the past. Reminds me of something his cranial osteo once said, that there's a theory suggesting that viral infections and the like are the body's way of rebalancing when things are out of whack. Can't remember the details but will have to ask him when I see him next.

I do keep a general diary so all this is documented.

Interesting that you suggest the cold turkey approach - I can see the logic in that but not sure if I could put J through that much pain in one go. Blimey, if he's the way he was last night after just a few corn crackers he could be in agony when we go the whole hog.

I've arranged to see the dietician we saw for general advice last year, see what help she can give about the diet. Also waiting for Marilyn Le Breton's book but Amazon seem to have lost it. Flippin' typical eh?

How do you get the candida test done?

Thanks for the advice.

Karen

x

I'd recommend:

tesco organic frozen beefbrugers, a bargain at 99p for pack of 4

Waitrose do a vaccum pack of 4 seeded rolls by Dietary Specials which can be toasted and are excellent. ?1.99 for 4 http://www.nutritionpoint.co.uk/

they also sell some nice GF sausages made by Rusks?

sorry can't find the name, but did come accross http://www.sallyssizzlers.com/

apple and veg crisps

village bakery seed and fruit bars http://www.village-bakery.com/

staples :

plain fish/meat and rice / pots and veg

egg fried rice - nice with pesto

how about serving naturally GF foods more often over coming weeks?

might be cheaper than relying too heavily of special replacement products.

a lot of wheat free or GF produce is made with refined wheat alternatives or extra sugar so tend to be high glycemic index. this can be reduced by serving with protein.

even blood sugar helps with moods and behaviour too - this applies to mums with PMT too :devil:

good luck

-

Katya

Actually J has been behaviourally off the wall in the last week, hence my thread about the fighting incident in school and subsequent rumbling. Oddly since he was so poorly last night he's been much calmer today, something that I've noticed often in the past. Reminds me of something his cranial osteo once said, that there's a theory suggesting that viral infections and the like are the body's way of rebalancing when things are out of whack. Can't remember the details but will have to ask him when I see him next.

Hmmm does he crave sugar at all?

How do you get the candida test done?

Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory do the most comprehensive tests. Agents in the UK are Diagnostic Services/Nutri Ltd, Tel 01663 718860.

I replied to this this morning but have no idea where it's gone...

Thanks for the advice on GF foods, Kat. Actually I'm OK about what to give him so I can't see any problems there, just want to know what to expect and was concerned that the GF foods he has tried might have upset him in some way, though I think that's unlikely. I've not actually removed any gluten from his diet yet, just added some GF foods for testing/tasting. He's very much on board and keen to try, which is a bonus. Trying GF saussies for tea today, fingers crossed!

Jaded - no, J doesn't crave sugar, in fact he doesn't have much of a sweet tooth at all (though he does seem drawn towards bread products and carbs generally). Never eats sweets, just the odd bit of chocolate and home made bakes, nothing iffy.

Thanks for the info re Candida testing, will keep that for future reference.

I'm utterly amazed at how calm he is today, since he's recovered from being ill. It's almost as if last week was heading towards a climax and now he's passed it he's settled again. I was so worried that we'd have to start over again, relearning everything we've done this year, but it's like nothing's happened.

Karen

x