Sign in to follow this  
adamsmum

Sleeping in own room

My 15month old boy is being a real pain at night. He sleeps in with me and DH. This was my fault as i breast fed and it was easiest. Now he plays up all night waking and crying for no reason so i think its time for him to go in his newly decorated bedroom. he's on the bottle now so no excuse the problem is how do i get him to go in there at night without him feeling rejected or frightend. Also a friend told me i should leave him to cry at night im not sure about this as he's so young any advice im desprate for a nights sleep :(

Hi

I had my son in my room (whether it was in his cot or in my bed) until he was just over a year old. Guess it's a personal thing, but I'm of the opinion that young babies especially should be close to their mothers. I got my son into his own room by staying with him night after night until he was settled. At least that way he could be comforted and still know that I was nearby. It's not easy and you'll do anything for a good night's sleep, especially when you work full-time and are desperate for some shut-eye! Good luck and best wishes.

Caroline.

Try putting him his new bedroom for daytime naps to get him used to being in there to start with.

Fifteen months is a good time, before any bad habits start. Stick with the tried and tested, bath, story cuddle bed. I used to play soft music tapes when they were babies, and they always settled well. If he starts crying, give him a few minutes before you go up to reassure him, and come out again.stretch the few minutes a bit longer each time. Keep everything the same for a few nights and gradually he should get used to it.

s

xxx

Thank you both. Will start tue after carpet is layed will let you know how it go's

Controlled crying as it gets called now is hard, especially on the parents, but usually works.

By starting off with being near the cot side, then moving further away each night and ignoring crying unless it is a painful cry. It is very hard, maybe your health visitor could go through the techniques with you. Always helps to have some face to face support.

There has been some research though, which I can't put my finger on right this minute but does exist, whcih says that controlled crying raising cortisol levels in brain of the child, and can be linked to later mental health problems such as depression and anxiety. I would also find it hard to do.

I personally would go the softly-softly route, of starting with day time naps in the room, then moving on to night times in his own bedroom, but using the phased withdrawal system, where you inch out of the door very, very slowly, over a period to start off with of about 20-30 mins. If the child gets distressed you stop moving back and talk to them soothingly but don't take them out of there bed. The idea is that you should leave the room when they are calm, and almost but not quite asleep so that they get used to falling asleep without you there. Over time, and it should only take a few weeks, you will be able to leave the room after only a few minutes and the child will be able to settle themselves. That's the theory anyway. Good luck!