Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frangipani

Sons finally going back to College

Guest hallyscomet

Hi :)

Well we had our meeting this morning with the Head of IT and Disabilities support and they both had read that paper that Brook posted the other day "Autism today"

They both had a much better understanding about B's anxieties and need to escape the college for the comfort of his bedroom.

They have allocated a quiet room a choice of at least 5 including a tv and dvd video recorder so he can sit and watch a short program or listen to music.

They also suggested he gets back into Sound Therapy as he used to when he needed time out from the class to calm down.

In class they are welcoming him to bring in his own headphones and music so he can zone out if all in the class starts to close in on him and each teacher will be advised that if he makes an exit, they will know its essential for him to chill out.

They are going to try and structure the classes to keep him happy and challenged.

The social part is another area he struggles with but since he had the break he feels more confident to be able to give things a go.

He wont be starting till early July, and enrollments are at the end of June, and instead of going in with the mad rush with everyone at enrollments they have set up a time he can come after the rush.

I think the music therapy is something we forgot about, but this will even help him when he is outdoors and feeling anxious with the crowds. The college is lovely and they have a full time gardener that makes the gardens really beautiful with lots of little hideaway spots to go and sit. These two ladies also said if he needed someone to talk to come to their office and talk to them.

What a turn around. Now we just have to get him out of bed everymorning and there. :pray: they dont have transport over here :( so I have to be on call if he has a panic attack, but hopefully this time he has a few escape plans so he doesnt need me. :thumbs: feeling a bit anxious myself. :ph34r:

Well the long break has paid off, and like you all said last year, just let him do nothing has paid off, and he has bounced back, and seems ready, although on the way he said my tummys feeling funny again. So we went over the breathing techniques, and if he has his music with him, this will soothe him too, I hope.

I just pray now that he can do it. :wub:

Thanks again for you help in the past,

Regards

Hailey >:D<<'>

Hailey

Sounds good, I hope it helps him settle in and feel comfortable enough to get something out of it. :thumbs:

Lauren

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> ..........oh hailey...........got butterflies in my tummy for you.It sounds really good that the college have taken on board his areas of difficulty.Big fingers crossed for you both, hope it goes well.Suzex

Hailey,

It's been a long time coming but things are looking up! :thumbs:

I really hope this works out and it sounds as though the college are going to great lengths to make it work for your son.

Getting up in the morning was the hardest thing for L when she started at college and at times I thought she would never be able to do it on her own. But now several months down the line she's become used to the morning routine and manages it with little help from me - so it is possible!

Well done both of you for getting this far. :):clap:

K x