Sign in to follow this  
KATHY BLAIR

the future (follow on from wasted days by Lauren)

Having read through the thread through Lauren 's thread, I wanted to offer some thoughts of my own.

I spent 18 months fighting with special education for my daughter's statement, and like you my sole motivation was to secure the help she needs now to enable her to achieve whatever she wants in the future.

I listened to "so-called" professionals who had met her on isolated occasions, in a structured one to one environment telling me what she didn't need :wacko:

I knew my daughter and I was her best advocate. This time last year Rachael didn't want go to school, she would not stay in for lunch and if something unusual was happening (like a substitute teacher), she only attended part of the time. She believed she was stupid because she could not keep up in class in spite of an IQ>120.Special education would not even consider this in their provision because none of the professionals had felt it important enough to include in their evidence :fight: (note the sarcasm).

I like you fought on and in the end secured what we felt was an appropriate level of assistance. I now have a daughter who remains anxious about school at times - but who mostly likes to go. She has made one good friend, her independence in school is increasing daily. She had real difficulties with reading and with help and support is now reading independently, she knows her strengths - maths and science and is starting to become really confident in her. T

Now some may say that this fight took up 18 months of my life and continues to a certain degree. But to move away from how children with all asds are seen we must do this. My whole motivation was what would happen later in life. What better future could I have given her, than to empower her to become competent, cofident and independent at 7 years of age instead of worrying about what the future holds.

We make the future for these children and the earlier we give them the skills to cope the better. there are days when you will feel that your time is wasted. When I look back even just a year I can tell you it was not. I believe that with all my heart :D

Hi Kathy thanks for the post today.I have a son Ben who is 8 he has some aspergers traits.He is very intelligent but struggles at school due to anxiety and difficulties in social interaction.He finds lunch time stressful and also becomes stressed if the routine at school changes.we are awaiting the outcome of a stsat assessment.It is so good to find that there are others who have similar experiences and are willing to share them -Thaks again.Karen.