Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Homework....."synonyms"...

Let me just get these out of the way...

:wallbash::angry::wallbash::angry::wallbash::angry:

:blink:

M does not write at school/needs all his work differentiated/has full time 1-2-1..... Huge problems with language........

Anyhow - he's been doing really well this last term :thumbs: (they've finally listened to me.... two and a half years in... :wallbash: ), so we've been gradually increasing some responsibilities etc, for him....

He was so proud to bring 'Homework' home this evening - he hasn't had any, other than reading, this year.

First question is - 'What is a synonym'

...... That he did, no problems... "It's different words that mean the same thing mum"

Second question is "Can you write down some examples of synonyms?"

There follows 30 minutes of him trying his very, very hardest to get his head around it. He just can't....... Synonyms/idonyms all confuse the *bleep* out of him. He tried sooooooo hard, bless him - but he just couldn't understand. He was saying rhyming words....opposite words....giving me collections of words with the same constant clusters in.... :blink: .... Each time, so proud of himself because he thought he'd got it :( . The examples i gave him, just increased his confusion - he cannot understand how these words mean the same thing, when to him they seem so different.

So cross with school - this was a fantastic opportunity to increase his confidence and it ended up with him scratching his face in frustration... :( .

Am i right to be stroppy about this? Is this an AS trait or just something specific to M (either way - they should understand his language problems by now..... :wallbash: ).

Oh help - i was having such a good day - now i'm feeling bad for my little man, and cross with school. :( .

It's absolutely an AS trait. Does he have specific learning difficulties aswell? Luke has trouble with synonyms, mainly because everything has to be black and white and he hates there to be too many choices. Idioms, metaphors also are all lost on him. I spent years teaching William none literal use of language and he from memory understands most things but gets new things wrong. Luke doesn't understand at all the concept of a synonym and would never be able to think one up. Homework should be appropriate; if Luke ever brings homework home that he can't do even with lots of support I just send it back with a note to the teacher; this happens most weeks because he gets the most rididculous maths sheets and every week I send them back.

Maybe a pleasant but firm explanation to his teacher of why this homework was inappropriate for your son would be the best approach in the first instance; you could also use it as an opportunity to highlight again some of his difficulties.

lauren x

Edited by Lauren