jlp

Sigh, ds sent home from school

G went back to school today after a week off and although I was expecting a huge fuss he went fine. It was open day so we called in mid morning and saw him working quietly and he was fine when we left.

Go shopping and come in to a phonecall from school saying that he's strangled another child until the child couldn't breathe and left marks on his neck, then attacked the dinner lady who was trying to get him off the boy. Can we come and get him although they won't make it a formal exclusion this time (I did say they could if they wanted). Saw Deputy Head and his class teacher and they were very nice and said they're definately going to push for a statement (we got turned down in January as he'd just moved schools) which is what I was going to ask for at the review meeting on Thursday.

I expect the other childs parents are furious - G is in Y1 so older than the boy who's in Reception. Apparently he'd smacked him on the bottom so G had lost it, other child says he didn't - I kind of believe G although school thought it was unlikely that he had hit him on the bottom as he was sitting on a wall but G says he got up, who knows what happened :( Not that we can let violence go anyway (he's currently practising his letters and no PS again, he's been banned from the PS2 more often than he's been allowed to play on it since we got it)

Bit of a pointless ramble really :crying:

Edited by jlp

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Hope things sort themselves out and J gets his statement. Does J have any support in school at the moment? He obviously needs some close supervision and support and schools are supposed to supply that as necessary out of their own budget until extra funding from the LEA can be agreed.

What G did is unacceptable, BUT it is extremely unlikely to have been a random attack on the boy concerned, he almost certinaly reached a point where he could not cope any more and then lashed out.

Put very simply banning him from the PS2 is very unlikely to be the solution to the problem. In some ways it is counter-produtive as Home needs to be a sanctuary from the stressful things that are happening at school. If G is unable to make the connection between events at school and his punishment at home then the punishment will be counter-roductive. There are times when something has to be done, and this may well be one of them, but punishing at home for events at school is not a good idea most of the time.

It is very clear from these events that it isnt fair on G or the other children for him to continue without a greater level of support. You should be doscussing as a matter of urgency with the school what additional support they intend to put in place to avoid situations where G cannot cope and lashes out. The first 10 hurs or so should be met from within the school delaged budget, they will only get the money over and above that if/when a statement is issued.

If the school plead lack of resources you need to take this up with the LEA.

Good luck!

Simon

Yunno...those parenting moments when you simply don't agree but can't discuss it cos the child concerned is about (he's afraid to be on his own in another room - one of his huge fears)....

I was thinking along those lines myself but dp thinks I'm way too soft (I only talked him back into allowing G to have the PS2 back early yesterday on the basis that it might calm him for going back to school today!). Of course G behaves angelically for dp most of the time (while running rampage for me school and Grandma) so this doesn't help the 'too soft' arguement.

More sighs.

On the plus side after something big like this we get a transformed polite and co-operative child for about 24 hrs.

Edited to add he's getting 5 mornings support come September and has 2 afternoons atm which isn't proving to be enough.

Edited by jlp

The school HAVE to make this a formal exclusion. They cannot send him home, even at lunchtime, and not do so (see illegal exclusion pinned thread). Besides anything else it will show he needs that extra support a statement should bring. By not recording it they are deluding the powers that be that this sort of thing is not happening...and it is!!