Sign in to follow this  
Perry Chie

Is it hopeless?

Hi, first time posting always been a reader and have learnt so much but now I need some info I havent seen. My son (4 starting mainstream in sept. dx asd) has been refused an assesment by LEA I went to appeal but it now comes to light Ed Psyc. requested assesment so it is not valid so to speak, tribunal say I can appeal (thought I already had) so have sent letter to say I want to appeal. So am I wasting my time, can anyone be blamed for such a waste of time,apreciate any help

It is unusual for an EP to make the request, but it is not unheard of. Normally it is the school or parent who asks for the assessment to be done. In your cse I would advise you make a written request to the school and/or the lea for an assessment to be carried out on your son. As for proportioning 'blame' in this case...I'm not to sure that the the EP was wrong in making the request it may just be the 'offical' route wasn't followed.

Phasmid thanks for your welcome and reply. I suppose its ok for ED to request an assessment it only seems to matter if it goes to appeal, ED has phoned me and apologised said he has learnt something new and was worried about provision for my son for Sept, but the school are being fantastic they say he can attend mornings only till his birthday in January and he will have one to one so I am relieved, just have to see what stage we are at by then!

Just a quick update seems I def. cant appeal because E.P. requested statement and letter from LEA today to say thanks for your letter with extra info but still no and sorry forgot to mention that you cant appeal when we actually said you could! All started 7 months ago everyone saying your son will def get statement no probs.Nightmare!

Hi Perry Chie,

I hope things work out for your son next year and the school do give him the support he needs. If after six months have passed, you still aren't happy with what is being done for him, you can start the statementing process again by requesting an assessment yourself.

K x

Just a quick update seems I def. cant appeal because E.P. requested statement and letter from LEA today to say thanks for your letter with extra info but still no and sorry forgot to mention that you cant appeal when we actually said you could! All started 7 months ago everyone saying your son will def get statement no probs.Nightmare!

Perry Chie - did the LEA ask you for your point of view and comments when the EP requested the assessment? Only the Code of Practice says the following ...

4:40 The parents? perspective is particularly important when assessing the special educational

needs of young children. LEAs should consider using explanatory leaflets or guidelines for

parents to encourage their participation. Such information could also include an

explanation of the support available for children within early education settings through

Early Years Action and Action Plus, an explanation of parents? rights in relation to

requesting a statutory assessment, and information about the circumstances in which the

LEA would consider giving a child a statement. LEAs should also ensure that parents are

offered the full range of parent partnership services as described in Chapter Two of this

Code.

If they didn't then you may have grounds for a complaint that they haven't followed correct procedure ...

Hi again, yes I seem to remember a place on the request form for my input but EP said didnt really matter as they (LEA) would be contacting me and all concerned at a later date for more info, it was all rushed and I thought good I have time to prepare my bit, looking back I was very naive of the whole process, but you tend to trust people who are being paid to advise you and help your child.

I have spoken to the NAS tonight and their tribunal dept. are going to contact me so will wait on that.

Thankyou to MotherEve and Kathryn for your replies, this forum is a sanity saver after a stressful crazy day!