jlp

What help is available?

Hi

Ds#1 has AS and is 6 1/2. I've been hearing about referrals to Social Services and OT but was wondering what they're there to do? Sorry if that's sounding thick.

We had someone from the under 8s team (referral from HV) come out to see about respite when ds#1 was 4 and again when I was having a bad spell with both not sleeping last year but the visits amounted to them giving me a list of nurseries / out of school clubs and leaving me to get on with it (I could have done that myself!).

I'm wondering if it's worth asking for a Carers Assessment? But not sure what to ask for and they don't seem to suggest what they do have that could help - they wait for me to ask and I don't know what to ask for!

Also OT - what is that for and how can it be used to help AS children. Ds#1 has appalling handwriting and is still getting letters back to front (he's going to get some short sessions with the learning support teacher in September). Apparently he has problems forming his letters correctly. I don't know how bad it is compared to 'average' but it's pretty much unreadable. Is there anything else they could help with?

I realise that chances of being seen by anyone are slim but we might as well be on the waiting list!

Also I've just worked out that he's been on the waiting list for speech therapy for over a year since his assessment sessions - his speech can still be difficult to understand (he can't say 'sh' for one). Must chase that up as that frustrates him.

Anyone else worth putting our names down to see?!

Do you have a paed? Our paed was the one that organised all our care with the local child development team. We get speech therapy and physio and the area has finally got a new OT (couldn't get anyone for the position) so we'll be getting that too.

The OT comes and does things like sensory profiling, giving you different exercises etc to help your child do activities, help their motor skills etc. You can also get a community OT (not paediatric) to come and assess your home safety and provide any equipment you might need.

Our social worker does things like help fill in DLA forms, and organise respite.

We are lucky though, to date we haven't been refused anything and have been offered loads of services - not everyone is so lucky sadly.

Lynne

One of things the OT did for us/phas jr was to get a bath fitted. We had had to move from our previous accomodation ad need to be housed in a disabled adapted house. This had had a bath taken out and shower only then fitted in it's place. Phas Jr HATED this. He said it was like showering in needles. We got an oT assessment carried out and she recommended a bath was fitted - fine says the council will take out the shower...er no cos we' need that and he needs a bath. In the end that was what we got, an over bath shower with handrails and a bath...all down to the OT.

You could have a careers assessments but what about an assessment on your children, that way it will suggest services and possible core assessment for Direct Payments to pay for the services you need and pay for them from the Direct Payments.

I am going throw a core Assessment at the moment and it is long and tiring but I am hoping it will provide support for respite care and a sessional worker.

The assessment on the child is available with your local council services and just ask for a an assessment on your child who has special needs.

there is more on the website from the Goverment I will get back you with the actual wording.

You could aproach the social services disabilty teams or family support teams too.

Its not easy getting support though but I find if it is really impossible I write to the local MP and explain my situation and then they support you with what you can have.

OT is another way as well and your GP and Hospital service practioners if your under any.

No matter what never give up on the feeling you dont feel your getting support, its about finding someone and somewhere that will listen, also I have to recommend the Careers services too, they have provided me with emotional support and expensences for respite and they support with other things too.

Js Mum