Sign in to follow this  
Amanda32

Advice

Hi everyone... :dance::dance: just seen a bottle off :wine: off and wish I hadn't now......... :shame: I only do it once in a blue moon. Im hoping for some advice as my friend as just been offered a job in a autistic unit close by and assigned to 1 little boy age9, she was chosen from 30 applicants Im well pleased for her... :clap::clap: She needs to know what to expect etc as not yet visited the unit. I told her my son was not severe but this boy is always on the go. I said to her that they may well use visual timetables/social stories and rewards with behaviour. Im not sure what else I could tell her only that I could get some help for her on this site as Ive always had lots of support from you all....Thanks.. :clap:

My son is ok he's into DrWho now he will watch the same episode over and over again... :wallbash: He takes his sonic screwdriver with him everywhere and points it at the cash machines... :lol: and people. He his still having toileting problems relying on me and the teachers to tell him to go. He tells me that the teacher didn't say he needed to go but really trying my best to sort him out as he has got 1 year left before he reaches the secondary school next year. I hope everyone is ok and in good health take care all.

Amanda >:D<<'> :D

Edited by Amanda32

Hi Amanda,

I work in an autism unit in a secondary school but I'm not sure if my experience will be the same as hers. The class that I work in has only 4 pupils at present and they all have severe learning difficulties as well as ASD. We use a mix of TEACCH (schedules, work stations, routine) PECS, makaton sign language and intensive interaction with our pupils. Our class is very slow paced and although we have to follow the National Curriculum it is tailored to or pupil's needs. We are not specifically assigned to a pupil because it is agreed that it is important for staff and pupils to have a variety of experiences. There is quite a lot of time spent on personal care including personal hygeine - toileting and changing soiled clothing. The staff are extremely enthusiastic and celebrate every little step forward. Some pupils have extreme chalenging behaviour and its important for staff to remain calm and work out how to eleviate anxieties. Thats my experience.

However your friend may be supporting a pupil who is expected to intergrate with main school children in which case the unit may be only used for registration times and certain lessons. Your friend may be involved in supporting the little boy during lessons, encouraging him to stay seated and redirecing his attention if it wanders. She may support him during playtimes and lunches. She may have Independant education plans and behaviour plans to follow. These should be written by the class teacher.

I hope that helps and congrats and good luck to your friend. I'm sure she'll find the job very rewarding :thumbs:

SV

What about NAS they might have some good leaflets for teachers and some particular books on working in units on a one to one basis, I was provided a couple of boolets on playground and dinner times and also in the classroom, these where good as they bullet pointed vital communication with the child.

Establishing a relationship will be the key and getting the child to feel safe and trust.

Common interests and disscussions on interested topics,

J said the only thing he doesnt like about his TA is she is on his case all the time, so not too over bearing and to take on board the energy it will take just been together.

I think TEACH have a website and provide daily information that might support her as well as a forum that has teachers working with Autistic children.

Have times where you can just read, or play a game and relax as well as the timetable lesson times.

Training courses that look at autism and frequent communications with parents too.

It sounds very exciting and wish her the best.

JsMum